Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: C4d exporting of tiffs with alpha

Hi Bill,

That's strange. I haven't tried it in X1 or Xtreme as I don't have these apps. Just curious, did you specify alpha in your render settings first?.. before you rendered to the window?

I get the same error as Soquili in XaraX1, If I delete the alpha channel in PS, it loads into Xara no transparency, If in PS I use the alpha as a selection, copy the object and paste it onto a new layer, then select all and clear the background layer, save the image as PNG, then it imports into Xara with transparency.

Hi Wayne,

I used alpha in the render settings. It appears to be an import problem in Xara, it doesn't like the alpha channel in a tiff.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Don't use C4D myself, so maybe this comment is worthless.

But, I do bring alpha transp. from Carrara into Xara (X1 and Xtreme) as a tiff. all the time.

I render the image out as a psd. format with alpha map enabled. I then open the image in Corel Photo Paint just long enough to export it out again as a tiff.

Opens as intended in Xara with transp. background.

More times than I can recal, Corel has saved my butt for being able to use for just a few seconds to get something in or out of Xara.

I love Xara and am in the mind that if I can't do it in Xara...then I just don't do it, period. Although, Xara is like a gifted child that doesn't play well with others. Luckily, Corel, it's older cousin is more out going and gets along great with Xara and everyone else.

Might want to pick up an older version of Corel for practicaly peanuts just for this use alone.

~Liam~

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your input. I wonder if CorelDraw version 4 would work with tiffs with alpha transparency? It's a very old version that my brother had among his software collection, which I inherited.

I'll see if a tiff with alpha from Photoshop will import into Xtreme.

Edit: OK, the PS tiff with alpha imports without a problem into Xtreme. I've tryed over and over again to get a tiff with alpha created from C4D to import and it will not. I opened the C4D export into PS and the alpha doesn't show up in the layers or the properties. I can convert it to tiff with alpha in PS and re-export and Xtreme imports it without any complaints. It may be a problem with C4D version 8.5, anyone have version 9 or higher they can test my theory?
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 February 2006 at 01:26 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Can't add anytihng to this other than to say thanks to Soquili for keeping my thread going i.e. everything you said I've experenced also.

Turan