Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Xtreme 2.0a crashes, "access violation exception"

This is my first post, and covers a recurring and extremely frustrating problem I experienced with XaraX1, and I had hoped would not occur in XaraXtreme. I am using Xtreme 2.0a DL version.

The problem seems (to me) to occur randomly, and happens when I go to add / subtract / slice / intersect (i.e CTR 1,2,3 or 4) shapes, bascially the program crashes and always gives me the same error;

"Serious error from XaraXtreme( or X). Access violation exception at offset 0x0034C3C0"

If i then open the same file back up again and repeat the operation that caused the crash, it crashes again. If i copy the offending shapes into a new drawing and perform the operation, again it crashes. This is extremelly frustrating and when it occurs a while since I have saved has lost me lots of work and caused a great deal of hitting things and cursing. I have searched for help on this to no avail, and wondered if any other users found this problem carried over from X to Xtreme. If it helps I can provide a copy of an offending file that causes me this problem.

Thanks in advance.

O/S is P4 1.99MHz, 512M ram, 32M gfx, WinXP SP2
    Last edited by emoscopes; 12 February 2006 at 06:48 AM.

Default Re: Xara Xtreme 2.0a crashes, "access violation exception"

I have attached an offending file. the problem comes when i attempt to cut the red shape using the blue one. If i create new shapes and try cutting them this also occurs. I know it is probably obvious to recreate the shape and try again, but this isn't always possible / practical and still doesn't solve the root of the problem.

When I open this file back up in XaraX, I get a warning saying "Non-essential data has been found that is not recognised. Ignored data includes' (4124); (4119); (4119)" and the problem does not happen this time. Odd.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by emoscopes; 12 February 2006 at 07:05 AM.

Hello

It does not happen in X1,but certainly in X2.
    Not much comfort to you!
    I remade the long image and there was no problem in slicing it in X2. I made it the same size, but not the same colours. If I use the same colours by pasting attributes, it crashes.

Mike Engles

HI i recreated it using 2.0e cd. (you can download 2.0e DL from http://xara.com/downloads/xtreme/) and do not encounter a crash
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not sure why it happens, but I took your original file and tried to do as you said and it crashed. I tried pulling each of your shapes apart to see what you applied to them. for some reason, the red seems to be the one that causes it. In any event if you convert each to an editable shape (ctrl - shft - S) it will allow the cut. I even left the transparency on the blue and it stilled allowed the operation after converting both to editable shapes. I don't know if this helps. Maybe someone can explain why it happens.

Dave

Crashes with me too, "Access Violation at offset 0x0034e130" however if I try with file posted by bb2 it does not crash.

System AMD 3000+ 1.5gig DDR400, XP SP2.

Its definitely that red rectangle. Seems to me it has been corrupted. Even on its own it causes a violation. The other shapes don't.
    Tony

Thanks for your help guys,

This problem has bugged me intermitently through almost 4 years of XaraX use, but it finally came to a head recently when I found X2 had been released and it hadnt solved these problems, i'm seriously considering converting to illustrator as I do intend to take up illustration at least semi-professionally.

Anyway, in the meantime it seems like there's nothing I can do but hit save every 30 seconds and keep backing up. Such a shame, as otherwise it's a brilliant piece of software and I know it like the back of my hand now.

Cheers,

Andy

www.magnificentoctopus.com < all made in XaraX

Andy

Don't be so hasty!

There is something very odd about the rectangle: click on the shadow tool. It is set to No Shadow and yet the sliders are set to a bit of blur and maximum transparency. And this is fixed in your file as the default! If you click in open space, you can't now set the default to 0 and 0. And this persists across sessions.

I have tried re-instating a saved default.xar without removing the problem.

...I'm off to check with Regedit and then maybe re-install Xtreme...
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Can't find an obvious setting in the registry...

I am uninstalling - to wipe it out completely I hope.

PLEASE check your own system if you have downloaded the dud file. If I'm not the only one, we need a moderator to cut the file before anyone else gets infected.

UPDATE: doing an uninstall/manual clean of registry/reinstall does not change the setting. SO is it normal after all?
    Last edited by stlewis; 13 February 2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk