Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Docking dialog boxes

Agreed,
    We should be able to turn docking off permanently if we so desire.
    ron

Boy I guess this struck a nerve. I hope Xara is listening.
    J B

The way I have set my template is without dockers on start up. It is better than nothing. If I need a palette, I turn it on for the time I need it and turn it off when I am done.

It is like cooking. If you want your counter space back, put your spices away and the sugar, etc., and clean up after yourself. I am responsible for my own desk space. If you want to have all your palettes turned on, that it entirely up to you. No one has made you do that. If you want to pull them off the wall, no one is stopping you. Having all dockers turned off when saving your template means "No Dockers on Startup".

There are many programs with docking features. And when you can minimize the docker to as little on my screen as a half of an inch, I fail to see what is so terrible.

InDesign, Illustrator, CorelDRAW, PaintShopPro all have dockers.

And frankly, find dockers less of a nusance that free floating palettes like in PageMaker and Photoshop.

I manage to get by in Photoshop, because I love it to death the rest of the time.

Except it makes appauling .pdf. I just make .pdf from my print dialogue now, much better.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

I have dual monitors so I plan on using the floaters over there instead

at the moment they'd only be in the way, since im doing workbooks over there and performing them on this monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by J B Lansing
    Here is a thing that I cannot figure out about Xara Xtreme. There is a new feature that allows dialog boxes( i mean the layer, bitmap, clipart, etc.)to be docked. Great! Now, how can I turn that feature off. Picture this. I'm in the middle of a complex drawing with many layers. I have the layer dialog box open so that I can switch between layers as I work. The box is over a detail I need to work on so I move it a little. Suddenly it jumps to a huge size and obscures a whole section of the drawing. I now have to stop and figure out how to drag the box from its docked position and then change its size back to something reasonable. ten minutes later it happens again. This alone could make me head back to X1.
    Is there a setting to shut this feature off?
    J B
    Press control while dragging.

I personally like the dialog boxes docked although I can see why others wouldn't.

It's unfortunate, but Xara's implementation of the docked dialog box is horrible!!! They don't stay the way you put them when creating your personal working layout. This problem was brought up when they first released Xtreme and in the few months they had prior to shipping the CD they didn't fix it!

At this point I'm doing the same as SallyBode and just turning them off and on when needed.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Hello

Why not scroll the drawing left or right to bring the wanted area into view. You can use the mouse wheel and the SHIFT key for X Axis scrolling and the CTRL key for zooming . You can also close the boxes.

Mike Engles

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat
    I personally like the dialog boxes docked although I can see why others wouldn't.

It's unfortunate, but Xara's implementation of the docked dialog box is horrible!!! They don't stay the way you put them when creating your personal working layout. This problem was brought up when they first released Xtreme and in the few months they had prior to shipping the CD they didn't fix it!

At this point I'm doing the same as SallyBode and just turning them off and on when needed.
    In Xara's defence, when they implemented them, they acknowledged that it was crude for the time being. It was not a priority feature, but was a quick solution to popular demand.

You can drag them to minimum size. The problem is when you have several open.

You just have to decide which to keep open.

After years of continually dragging palettes around in Photoshop, it is no big deal.

What is nice is to have effects editable. Life isn't perfect. At least Xara tries stuff. They are small enough to be innovative.

I'm sure they'll tweak it.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

My personal work flow is to only open a dialog when I need it then close it. The problem is that now that they dock, if you move it slightly near the edge of the display the darn thing docks and takes up a lot of display area. I dislike that behaviour in any program. If I want to move it so it is partially off the display then I want it that way, not suddenly increase in size and become a nuisance.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update