Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Xtreme will not install

" Error message unable to detemine the location of the prevoius installation of Xara Xtreme. This installation has failed and will terminate."

Please note had uninstalled the download version as it had become time barred and cleaned out both the registery and recycle bin.

Hope someone has seen before and can help with the instal program, not in a panic still have XaraX1 and reinstalled it is running okay, but did want the upgrade to Xtreme.

thanking all in anticipation

John

Default Re: Xtreme will not install

Hang in there John. I'm sure someone will come up with the solution.

Gary

John,

I thought I had seen this in another post. I believe it said to redownload the trial version, then install cd version over it.

Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

sadly no! This does not work either have the same error message after I tried downloading and installing.

I have neither advice nor experience with this problem; but I do have an observation for your consideration. If you have truly cleaned out the registry, where would the new installation get the idea that there was ever a previous installation? If you haven't already done one, perhaps a registry search would be worthwhile, just to ensure that you really cleaned it out.

This is the only idea that comes to mind.

Glen

Thumbs down Re: Xtreme will not install

Good point I willl rescour the reg. However I also have other xara products, ie 3d and web. Hopefully I wil not disturb them, and as I said I have reinstalled X1 so there should now be info in the reg regarding xara. Have also been having problems trying to e-mail this error to Xara, the apache server informs me do not have permission to send such e-mails. Or the page times out.

Re: Xtreme will not install

I always had the same problem and still have it with the CD version, and I've tried everything the Xara support told me to
    The only hope will be after a clean Windows XP install which I don't plan to do in the near future due to lack of time, or if Xara fix or change their installer... after so many cases, it is not an isolated problem anymore, is it ?

My guess is that you still have stuff in the registry in the following location:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Xara\Xara Xtreme]

Try cleaning that area out; though obviously be careful when editing the registry.

Then once you have deleted that area, try re-installing.

DrC

A fix from xara now up and running with xtreme