Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara compatibility

I have CorelDRAW 9.0 and 12.0 but rarely open 9.

If it is a drawing without transparency, the .pdf opens without any problem. Other things, if I want to bring them into CorelDRAW because of building a booklet, etc., have worked ok. Apparently with plugins it is a no go for right now.

The effects, such like the fire which you can get with Alien Skin Eye Candy 4000 upgrade from the free Xara plugins are Xara specific, so if you want them to work in other graphics programs, you have to either apply them in XPE or bite the bullet for another $59.00 and upgrade to a plugin that works for all software. I still don't think it may work in CD. CD doesn't seem to interested in supporting Xara, if you use the import filter to bring in a Xara drawing (which is a OLE operation) the resolution you get out of that is not worth doing.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

What about PDF files exported from Illustrator CS? I've gotten some, but couldn't open them in Xara Xtreme trial version, nor Xara X1, to modify the contents.

Extreme can only export to PDF not read so therefore there is no way that you will be able to open it. Both Xara and Xtreme can import and read and open AI files so long as they are saved as Legacy 8 or under. If the file contains any transparencies or drop shadows these will be exported as bit mapped effects and will not be editable.

If you want to import and export to and from AI to Xara software the drawing should be left simple, no blends, meshes, bevels, blurring (feathering) drop shadows just straight vector drawings which must be open in a RGB colour pallette page.
    Design is thinking made visual.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

You can use GhostScript to convert a *.pdf to *.ai and import it into xtreme. With GSView make sure you use the gnuplot *.ai option - the other 'official' ai option delivers garbage...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Many thanks, Albacore and Jens!

I have Illustrator 9, so had asked the other designer to send his .ai files in that legacy version. I'll try to remember to ask him to convert to Legacy 8 next time I work with him on a project. They were simple graphics, a box with text inside, but CMYK and I'm not sure if the inside corners were bevels or the box edges a trapezoid shape.

Thanks for the GhostScript tip, I'll go check it out. That may be the best way for me to go, especially with another client whose PR guy sends me PDF files with the updates for that website.

I find Xara much more intuitive than Illustrator, but I'm not good with either one, not enough practice. I use PSP for most everything I do in graphics.

Ruta

I've used PSP a lot but devoting enough time to learn Xara is worth your time as it can do nearly everything PSP can do and many more things and more easily.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode