Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default My First Project

Hi, I am looking for some advice on how to complete a project I am undertaking. I havent used Flash for a while and have never tried something on this level.

Here is an outline of how I am doing:
    The project will be an interactive website that will allow people to customise and order furniture for their DJing equipment – turntables, records, amplifier, CD player etc – to be used in peoples’ homes.

Users will be able to create a (fully) customised item by adding their own measurements and requirements or they will be able to customise an existing design or alternatively just pick a standard design and customise the aesthetics of the item.

Features that will be customisable include:
    - Number of turntables (if the user does not know the size they can select the make and model which will calculate the size needed) & type of mixer
    - Height
    - Optional brackets for CDJs
    - Number of shelves (how much vinyl/CDs would the user like to store)
    - Type of shelves (will they all be holding vinyl or will stereo equipment being stored)
    - Concealment of wires/built in plug sockets
    - Type of material used (ranging from low-cost (MDF) to high grade wood like mahogany etc)
    - Insulation

Once the user has made their selections they will be given a quote and then the chance to readjust their product or place an order with the company. The interface will display outlines of their item as they make their selections as it is being ‘built’ and will then be rendered at the end for them to inspect.

Is this a big task?

There wont be any need for a secure connect as the data will just be emailed to the company.

It can be as simple as possible but the more features I can implement the better.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: My First Project

it would be relativly easy in php/mysql but i dont know about flash! sounds a bit ambitious

Just remember accessibility. Does anyone know if there's a legal requirement for this in the UK? It's one of the things that's kept Flash low on my priorities list.

Hi JFK,
    Most ffolk who are starting a web site make their first Static, with maybe a CGI script to handle emails. What you are suggesting is a huge project. My first question have you seen a site which incorprates all this interactivity because I have not. Yes to your question about visualiation it would need to be played in Flash or quicktime and the file sizes would be large.

If you see a site which uses an interface that you would like to use why not email the designer and ask how he did it. You may get a reply. Or why not download the site and take the HTML to pieces you can learn a lot that way.
    Design is thinking made visual.