Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Not sure how to proceed from here

I drew this copying it by eye from a picture. But am not sure how to proceed with it color-wise as alot of the shapes are broken. Sketch is pretty cool though. First draft copying I have done in quite some time and first non-tutorial pic I have attempted. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chevycar1.gif 
Views:	353 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	22739  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -=(x_ACE_x)=-

Default Re: Not sure how to proceed from here

Well I am no graphic artist by any means. But all your (most) shapes are open, start by selecting the open lines for the complete outline and combine/or add shapes so that you have a closed container to color (colour) then work from there.
    Jim

I would place the drawing you have done on a locked layer and trace over it on a new (or several new) layer(s) producing closed shapes of areas of the drawing which you can then fill.

If you do this until you have shapes that correspond to the whole of your original drawing, these can be over several layers to help keep them apart and aid navigation. You can then apply fills to the various shapes until you have a completed drawing.
    derek

I drew this copying it by eye from a picture. But am not sure how to proceed with it color-wise as alot of the shapes are broken.
    There's your problem. Unless you only want an outline image, you must start from the very beginning by creating everything as Shapes. i.e. closed, fillable shapes, otherwise it becomes very difficult to start to add lines together etc.

I usually start with drawing a shape that covers the complete shape of the vehicle. This comes in handy as a 'slicer' later on.

Then start to draw the individual parts, the bonnet, the roof, the sides, the doors, the windows, the window edgings etc, etc.

Here's a very rough example at what I mean. (Open the layers gallery)

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Ace,
    you might try
    grouping everything,
    then filling a large area by drawing around your outlines,does not
    have to be perfect in the beginning
    then take the shape editor tool, and bend the shape
    so that it falls just under your outline,
    then push the layer back,
    you may have to change your windshield to white to color
    the other areas,temporarily

this is just something quick I did with your drawing
    maybe this will help,
    I got the hint from zebtoonz.com
    he uses this technique to create color fills for vector outlines for his cartoons,
    he is also listed here on the Xara xone for tutorials.
    I have attached your xar file with the color,

oh by the way nice drawing.

Jeffery

Name:	car2.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	22773  
    Last edited by jnerf; 20 December 2005 at 01:32 AM.

Talking Re: Not sure how to proceed from here

just a thought,I added various thicknesses of lines
    to give more dimension.

Jeffery

Name:	car3.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	22774  

Smile Re: Not sure how to proceed from here

ahh, I see!! I will give it more of a go once the holidays are past, well at least x-mas when the kids get their gifts and leave me to play with mine :P lol!!

Thank you all so much for the help, it was literally driving nuts to get that far then feel, well, like i hit a dead-end road.

I had actually used a book my son brought home from his art teacher that shows you how to make certain graphics using shapes, and while this may have sounded trivial to start with, by the time I finished, just what is drawn here I was thoroughly impressed with myself and the program as Xara bended to my will no matter how novice or indecisive i was with what tool to use and where..
    -=(x_ACE_x)=-