Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Posting to Talkgraphics

This is a general observation regarding the TalkGraphics forum. The TalkGraphics FAQ seems to be only related to vBulletin and offers no real guide as to what is or isn't acceptable to post or any general posting rules. I would suggest that this is fairly unusual. Have I missed a terms and conditions agreement which I am agreeing to by posting?

I was also surprised when I found out that one of the regular posters had recently been banned.

I don't know the details behind this so I can't comment on that decision but Gary's post here seemed to suggest it was for being too confrontational. This made me ask myself whether I should be thinking twice before posting a contraversial comment for fear that it should get me banned from the forum.

Without any specific guidelines, how can one know what is acceptable posting and what is going to get removed or get the poster banned?

Thanks,
    Si
    IP

Default Re: Posting to Talkgraphics

Si,

It will come.

However, to this specific example - flooding the forum with ~70 posts (within minute) containing obsenities and rude remarks should not require a special "rule". Common sense should do the trick, unfortunately there was non there in this case.
    Last edited by RTK; 13 November 2005 at 08:03 PM.
    IP

Without any specific guidelines, how can one know what is acceptable posting and what is going to get removed or get the poster banned?
    At this time if a member gets out of line a moderator will offer some guidance. Use your best judgement when posting, having a message removed is a pretty good indication of what not to post. Challenging moderators is highly frowned upon and discouraged.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 14 November 2005 at 04:29 AM.
    IP

You know what? You really have to ask yourself why someone would pose these questions, as you have, building the news of a recent banning within your observation... What's the point???

Oh, let me guess... you wanted to know the point of no return? Why would anybody with half a brain care about this sort of thing...

...are they signing up to create a troubled enviroment for others not to enjoy?
    ...are they just too immature to really know how they come accross?
    ...are they lacking in talents, or even the initiative it takes, to learn the stuff it takes to gain talents, and are thus going about gaining attention in less than productive manners?
    ...are they just plain the bully type in their real life, and have carried such nonsense a step further to inflict those online as well, talent criteria aside, they just be asses in life period sort of people?
    ...are they a part of a larger cause designed to take over and control cyber things for their own causes?
    ...do they fall in some category between any of the possibilities mentioned above?

I mean yea, sure, everybody needs these kind of people in their face first thing everyday eh???

come on...

I mean there are a bazzillion other cool things to discuss within this set of forums...

There are places to chat, places to discuss cool things graphic related, and even OffTopic stuff...

there are places to post cool worx, tips, tut's, whatever your fancy, within some sense of human decency of course...

and if you have to ask what is acceptable, then ... ikes

back to... yea, I was so looking forward to this sort of thing in one's face each day... get a grip people who are suffering with any of the above mentioned afflictions... and who do not wish to partake nicely in any TG fun...

Take your nonsense somewhere's else... we do not wish to babysit such nonsense, rather, we would like to think we are here to assist in the process of sharing information , in particular, information relating to graphic arts and web design, with the expectaions of being able to do so, in a reasonable manner...

Anyways, these are just my feelings on these types of matters... I am not affiliated with Xara, other than being a mod on TalkGraphics, and so our outlook on this may differ... but I doubt that any would truly disagree with the gist of these opinions off record.

IP

Question Re: Posting to Talkgraphics

gidgit,

I am a little puzzled by the tone of your post. I have to say I agree with your assessment of what TG is all about and if you look at my previous posts you will find that I haven't used this forum for anything but to discuss graphics software and to share my work.
    My enquiry about guidelines for posting was really an observation that in a situation where there are moderators in charge of a forum usually there is some form of faq laying out what constitutes proper usage.

In response, you implicitly accuse me of possibly either:
    taking away other people's enjoyment, being immature, lacking in talent, being a bully or trying to take over cyber things for my own causes.

I assure you I am not trying to take over anything or bully anyone or take away anything, I was just making a suggestion and it's clear that you don't think it's necessary. Fair enough - no need to be rude about it though.

Si
    IP

Si,

The "non-beauty" of talking over a forum... Things sometimes get misunderstood. It's much easier and civilized over a pint, or a cup or tea, and I think everyone agrees on that point.

I agree with you, Si. All forums have some form of "rules" . It might not perhaps be easy for newcomers to figure out what is "perfectly" acceptable or not. If you look around for a while - I'm sure you will get a feel for the place (even without official guidelines).

In general - no one is banned at the drop of a hat, unless you are a spammer or being purposely destructive. A "warning" - a hopefully informative email is sent out if you are doing something wrong. You do get a chance to correct what has been deemed not acceptable.

"Rules" will come. And as a matter fact, they will come really soon!

gidgit and Si - I'm sure you guys can sort this out - over PMs? If you think you need to do so.

As to your original question - It has been answered. I'm closing this thread.
    Last edited by RTK; 15 November 2005 at 09:53 PM.
    IP