Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Constant menu bar

I'm building a website, and want to make the javascript/flash menu for my site that will include graphics with cascading menus.
    The thing is I'd like the menu to stay at the same place disregarding the link I'm opening. Meaning I don't want the menu to be reloaded each time a user clicks a different link, since the menu consists of graphics and it will slower the site refreshment.

I dont want to use Frames for that matter since it's ugly and I need it a clean interface.

Does anyone know how to keep the meny in place and open the links below in a different window WITHOUT frames (I know it's possible from other websites I've seen).

Thanks

Default Re: Constant menu bar

You could use absolute positioning. I dislike it, but a lot of sites use it to keep elements in certain positions on the page.

Hey Availor,

If you design your frames properly, you do not get scroll bars... the fancy sites you see with the menus staying in place are either well written sites or use a fancy form of frames.

This page for example, uses a well written page layout to redraw the navigation with every page.

John, that's EXACTLY what I want but the menu used here is a simple HTML table constantly redrawn. I want a Javascript/flash menu.
    Last edited by Availor; 05 November 2005 at 07:40 AM.

In lieu of frames (or an iframe) you could employ AJAX, but this is likely overkill just for what you looking to do. Aside: Even if the menu is graphics heavy, once it's loaded the first time, the images will be cached and redraws on subsequent pages should be very fast. The most used method is server-side processing or the the use of SSI. It's frowned upon to open new windows in any case if you mean some sort of popup. Frames will still be your best option, taking into consideration all their shortcomings. I'd just let it redraw.

P.S. I'd avoid javascript and/or flash for a navigation scheme. Those who have these disabled will essentially be locked out of your site.
    Last edited by LonK; 05 November 2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Lonnie

Thanks alot Lonk.
    I will use your advice about frames. Though as I know 99% have flash player, and without Javascript or flash The site will be very boring. I want it to be as interactive as it can possibly be.

I'm making my portfolio site, so I need to impress

Search engines, in general, have troulbe indexing framed sites. More often than not, a flat html site will index higher than a JS/flash page.

Well I dont need my site to be searched... I am building my portfolio website so I can write it down in my resume so potential clients will be able to view my work and get the impression.

My only debate now is whether I should do it only in English or in Hebrew.

Making it in English will cause many people not understand (not everyone knows English) the concept of the site, Making it only in Hebrew is: 1. more troublesom
    2. loses potential high-class clients.

Making it in both languages is pretty difficult now that my time is VERY limited.

P.S. At least I'm learning one subject I like in "graphical engineering" class: Autocad 2002. The problem is we are learning 3D in 2D (which is very tough to explain - it requires only math calculations).

I didn't even know you can draw perspective in on a flat x,y axis. It will be x,y,z,-x,-y,-z go figure it out.....

Do both in hebrew and Engwish and provide a link to each at least on the index page.

Well on the same aspect... Do I need to search for an FTP web host? All these free hosts require to upload index.html file. I intend to do it in Flash.