Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 X1 Suggestions to make better

IF I have text, I should be able to double click and it automatically takes me into the text editor mode for the text I double clicked on. I shouldn't have to right click and select the Text Tool Right Click Menu Item just to edit the text..

Is I Print to PDF or save it asks me where to save the file, It should at least remember the folder I last saved it in so I don't have to navigate all the time to it.

Default Re: 2 X1 Suggestions to make better

Re 1): You can also press F8 to enter text mode. May not be as easy as doubleclicking, but perhaps a tad faster than what you're doing.

Re 2): It will remember the path if you have Save on Exit checked in the Options dialog (General tab).
    That is, if you're referring to exporting through the pdf filter. If you're talking about printing to pdf through the print function, the path is handled by your pdf application.
    Last edited by amoore; 26 October 2005 at 03:04 PM.

Ok, I tried the F8.

F8 doesn't all work that great either as I still have to click inside the text to place the insertion bar / cursor.

Whatever way, F8 or double click, it should put the insertion bar / cursor exactly or by guestimation at the letters of where I double click.

Quote Originally Posted by rh
    Whatever way, F8 or double click, it should put the insertion bar / cursor exactly or by guestimation at the letters of where I double click.
    All things considering... Is it all that big of a deal? In productivity, you are loosing 3 tenths of a second here - max.
    Last edited by RTK; 26 October 2005 at 06:17 PM.

If you have lots of text, it does. Say if you have an illustration for each product and you have text trying to tell someone what to do and what this part does, then it becomes a big deal.

Say if there are several parts? What about changes to a product details page that happens all the time?

Say if I have 10, 25 or 50 drawings and they all need changes and each drawing has 10 - 20 items to change?

What about a tutorial that need tweaking all the time?

So YES, it does TAKE TIME as it done over and over again.

BUT is it a BIG deal for the PROGRAMMER to program a double click and enter into the text mode and place the insertion bar in the right place....NOT THAT BAD or BIG of a DEAL as other graphics programs do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint
    All things considering... Is it all that big of a deal? In productivity, you are loosing 3 tenths of a second here - max.

Hi,
    RH..I am no graphic guru or great web page designer, but in the above scenerio I would create my 'graphics' and layout in Xara ecport images as ping or even export as SWF (flash) file the incorporate all the text pertaining to the graphic in question in SwishMax where I could access the 'text files' from a simple 'Noptepad' text file. That way any changes to text only require you to re-edit the text file not re-do the whole page.
    I believe in using various applications to accomplish my task, and use the specific application for what it is best suited.
    XaraXtreme (XaraX1) are great application suited for a variety of 'Graphic' functions, but it is not a dedicated 'Web page' designer, that part of the application (in my opinion) is a bonus.
    Jim

Let's see 3/10ths of a second here, but this is a FLASH file...hmm....what if I don't want to use FLASH as that's more than 3/10 of a second for users to download that file.

It was SwishMax not flash SwishMax creates flash files.
    You can use what you want!
    You can use a finger paint program if you want.
    Jim

RH;

I just want you to know that I think your suggestions are precisely as valid as those of several other contributors to this forum who have expressed a desire for better DTP and text manipulation functionality in Xara. I think people may be getting a bit short with you because your credibility was damaged by other threads you have started in the past.

However, to restate Scotty's point, Xara is purely an illustration program at this point in its development. Hopefully with its entry into the arena of Open Source, somebody will produce a module/extension for it that adds the DTP, web layout and text functionality. In the meantime, should you want greater DTP, web layout or text functionality, you might be wise to use a different program for that.

For example, create your illustrations in Xara, then either export them or save them in a portable format (eg. SWF, TIFF, JPG, EPS, etc.), and import them into a DTP program (eg. InDesign, MS Publisher, etc.) or a web page layout program (eg. Dreamweaver, NetObjects Fusion, etc.) and add the text and do the layout there.

Until its potential modularity and extensibility is fully realized, Xara cannot be all things to all people. As others have pointed out in this forum, it still lacks some useful illustration functionality that ought to be addressed before it expands into other areas.

Glen
    Last edited by GroWeb; 26 October 2005 at 11:42 PM.

GroWeb:

Thank God for someone who can write clearly and make themselves understood. I plead guilty to such shortcomings. I admire your talent.

Good job. Sure cuts to the quick.

Thanks, John