Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Table problem

Hi

I'm doing a site for a friend and am having a problem with the table design.
    Piper Brian
    I am using 2 tables - 1 for the top nav bar and another for the main body of the page. My problem is that when I view the page in a browser and change the viewing area of the screen,for example, if I put in the side search bar - then the bottom table more or less collapses and it looks awful, the cells around the photo's enlarge instead of continuing to hug the photo - if you can understand what I mean! I want the bottom table to remain intact when it is moved in and out - like the top table.Any ideas? I used 2 tables instead of one because I wanted to use a different border and cell colour for the main body of the page.

Sorry if my explanation is confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I suspect it is because you have wider images in the header and more collapsible text in the body - IE6 does this.

Try some fixed widths or else put a wide image at the top of the table - even 1 pix high may do.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

That you need to nest the second table inside the first one, or nest both tables inside an overall table.

I once had all sorts of problems with getting table elements to stay aligned with one another, but once I nested all tables inside an overall table, the problem vanished.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

That's a really nice design. I like the use of blur on the "piper brian" image - you can almost see the sound waves. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I find it hard sometimes to use only words when talking about design, it's a lot easier for me to point and jabber. With that in mind I put up some points that might be helpful at pdf file

cheers
    diane

Thanks a million for all your help - and I have tried to put into action your advice. I've made the suggested changespiper brian
    I'm still having some problems with autostretching - though the columns are expanding and collapsing fine (the cells continue to hug the photo's) the spacer image at the bottom of the table is a bit unslightly - any ideas on how I can avoid this. Autostretching is always a bit "hit and miss" for me. Thanks again for your time and help.

For a spacer image try a 1px X 1px transparent gif - set the width & height attributes to the size needed. You can reuse the same image in different places at different sizes.

cheers
    Diane

http://www.thenwhen.com/thenblog
    ThenWhen eMedia Web Design