Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Saving Paths

Default Saving Paths

Hi guys! Is there any way I can save my Paths in Photoshop and use it in Illustrator so that I wont be masking the image again in Illustrator. I do this because I find it easy to mask in photoshop using pen tool rather than in illustrator. I tried saving my file as EPS in photoshop and open it in Illustrator but nothing happens.

Thanks for any help.
    IP

Default Re: Saving Paths

Select all the paths and copy (Ctrl/C) to the clipboard. Now just open AI and paste in (Ctrl/V) to a doc.

Sark
    IP

only certain part of the path is only copied. can you explain it a bit further how can i copy all of them (paths).

thanks.
    IP

According to Adobe CS2 via the use of "The Bridge"

Do any of the following:
    To copy a path component as you move it, select the path name in the Paths palette, and click a path component with the Path Selection tool . Then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the selected path.
    To copy a path without renaming it, drag the path name in the Paths palette to the New Path button at the bottom of the palette.
    To copy and rename a path, Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the path in the Paths palette to the New Path button at the bottom of the palette. Or select the path to copy, and choose Duplicate Path from the Paths palette menu. Enter a new name for the path in the Duplicate Path dialog box, and click OK.
    To copy a path or path component into another path, select the path or path component you want to copy, and choose Edit > Copy. Then select the destination path, and choose Edit > Paste.
    IP

Im only using Photoshop 7 and I think "Bridge" will only work on CS2.
    IP

razor, I'm also using PS7. If all you're trying to do is save all the paths as an .ai file, just use File/Export/Paths to Illustrator.

I don't own Illustrator, so can't offer any advice beyond exporting from PS, but if only part of your paths were being pasted into AI using the first method I described, it may be that you are not selecting all the paths with the Path selection tool. If you select only two nodes of a four node circle, only the section between the two nodes will export. Seems to me this is where you may be going wrong.

Sark
    IP

Thanks! That works out. I'm just selecting a single node.
    IP