Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Convert ART to XAR??

I had a look for information on converters.
    I did some projects on Corel Xara years ago and wanted to import them into Xara X1..these are ART and XAR files respectively.
    Xara X1 reports (when importing!)
    "Cannot be loaded because it is a renderable EPS file. It is not designed to be edited by Xara X"
    It's a vector type drawing so why cant it be imported?

Default Re: Convert ART to XAR??

How did you make your text red? Does this mean you are angry? :-)

An *.eps file is not really an editable file. It is designed to be printed or sent to an output device such as an image setter for creating film for printing.

For example, if you have a gradient fill, when you export the image as *.eps, the gradation is broken into dozens of thin slices, kind of like a blend of two shapes. So there is not way you could edit the fill.

CorelDRAW And Adobe Illustrator do have the capability to open eps files. But you still cannot edit them like you would a XAR, CDR or AI file.

Adobe Illustrator can save a file in both *.ai and *.eps (and PDF in later versions which is now Illustrator's file format). The difference is *.ai is meant to be edited and *.eps is meant to be output or printed from a publishing application such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, or InDesign.

That make any sense?

Gary
    Last edited by gwpriester; 29 September 2005 at 10:55 PM.

TazzyUK,

When importing are you sure you're selecting CoreXara pre-1.5 (*.xar;*.art) and not ArtWorks EPS (*.eps) in the files of type drop down list?

Antony
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I have the project files...and they were done in corelxara..years ago.
    They have file extension *.ART (As seen in the command prompt!).
    If I just import them into Xara X1, I get the above message
    "Cannot be loaded because it is a renderable EPS file. It is not designed to be edited by Xara X"
    Its not an EPS file!!..They were done in CorelXara!....I mean...almost exactly the same program!. It's only Xara X1 that says there EPS files.
    But they do have the ART file extension!!
    There both Vector image formats...so why not capable of importing?
    It doesn't matter what file type you select...CorelXara *.ART is not available on the list of filetypes to import!
    Seems very strange to me
    Pete

hi TazzyUK,

You could always load corelxara again, then load the files and use another format so you can pway with them in x1. You can have multiple versions of xara on your machine at the same time. I know I do... I one time I had 3 different versions and they could be open at the same time.

Only one version could have the .xara nd .web association.

I have used CorelXARA 1.5 to save/export a small file in several different formats ( Artworks EPS, CorelXara 1.1 .art & CorelXARA 1.1 .eps ).

The only file which will not open in Xara X or X1 (with the renderable EPS message) is the one exported from CX1.5 as CX1.1 EPS.
    All other files appear to open OK.

Photoshop 7 opens the CX1.1 EPS but spits the dummy at Artworks EPS & CX1.1 .art. I would save them in PS and use Xara X 's bitmap tracer to revector them.

Not an elegant solution, but it works.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Pete,
    If you post one of your files here ... perhaps someone can figure out what is going on.

I think it's mad to have to import as a bitmap and use the bitmap 'trace' function!...so your converting vector format to bitmap format and then back to vector again!!!
    If ART vector files are just a series of cordinates, geometric data etc then converting that to another vector format (XAR) should be a doddle?? (I'm no programmer though!). I would have thought that Xara's import facility would have various well known 'vector' formats (i.e. CorelXara, Illustrator etc) on the top of its list!!. But i suppose copyright, file format infingement blah blah kicks into play there!..I'm just surprised. Your spoilt for choice as far as bitmap file format conversion when importing/exporting!. The CorelXara I have wont work on Windows XP!!(If I remember rightly). Thankyou everyone who responded to my query by the way

Hi Tazzy,

I've done several Google searches for the .art file format and cannot find any reference that .art is a vector format. All references are to the AOL bitmap image format or to an older format by a company named Import Art. The Import Art format was also a bitmapped image.

Is red your favorite colour? It is difficult to read on the forum background colour for my old eyes.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili
    I've done several Google searches for the .art file format and cannot find any reference that .art is a vector format.
    I'm quite sure that the original Xara Studio created .art files before it changed to .xar: certainly the Xara X¹ online help backs this up - .art is listed under "Other Import Formats" in the article 'List of supported file formats'.