Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: Ctrl+Shift+V

This is a "minor" cosmetic request, but should prevent frustration for new users in particular since Xara does not follow MSWindow standards for pasting.

To the Edit Menu,
    please add:
    Paste in Place Ctrl+Shift+V
    & modify:
    Paste in Window Ctrl+V

I realize we don't want to clutter the menus, but in this case I think it is warranted.

Invariably I have to clarify/remind this with new users/moderate users (they don't think to check out the Help menu because they believe Xara is malfunctioning).

NOTE: If we could customize menus then (in X2) the more experience users could delete it out menus options they don't need or use all the time.
    Last edited by jclements; 15 September 2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: to clarify message

Default Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: Ctrl+Shift+V

Maybe I'm missing something.

Don't both say paste is CTRL+V? And that's right...

And while Xara X doesn't list CTRL+SHIFT+V, it does do it. And similarly such an option isn't in Word.

So why would people think it's malfunctioning?

Antony
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Er, where doesn't Xara X follow Microsoft conventions?

Anyway the next release will have Ctrl+Shift+V listed in the menu for Paste In Place, as you asked for (actually this change was done a month or so back, so you were not the only one who wanted this change.)

I agree that customizable menus would be nice, but that's more work and so won't appear in the short term.

Microsoft does not follow a lot of its own standards.

You can use Alt Tab in many applications to toggle between open documents, but not in Word.

Acrylic (Expression Graphic Designer) which is Miscosoft's supposed answer to a professional design program, does not even support the Microsoft keyboard editing shortcuts.

Hey, it's not a perfect world :-)

I am glad to hear that Past in Place will be available in the next version of Xara however. But as Anthony so correctly points out, the capability has been there forever.

Gary

Anthony:
    My posting was too vague I guess.
    Edit menu currently says "Paste .... (Ctrl + V)"
    I was suggesting "Paste .... in Window (Ctrl + V)"

In PowerPoint, for example, Ctrl+V pastes images in place (which is what Xara does with Ctrl+Shift+V).

Paste in place is what I meant by the MSWindow's standard for Ctrl + V. But as Gary pointed out, "standard" is used pretty loosely. My mistake.

I wasn't disputing that paste in place has always always been available, only that it wasn't listed in the Edit menu and when a neophyte used Ctrl+V it was doing something different that what they expected.

Charles:
    My thanks to the Xara Team for implementing this and for questioning my comment about "Microsoft conventions".
    Last edited by jclements; 15 September 2005 at 06:47 PM.

Sorry to be a pedant but don't you mean Ctrl + Tab not Alt + Tab because last time I used word to do some spell check something I was drawing in Xara Alt + Tab still bounced me back and forth between applications - hows about Microsoft adding spell-check to the OS API - now that would be something special!

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

While were on the subject of Short Cuts.

Is there an unlisted shortcut for "Convert Line to Shape" ? In the Arrange pulldown it's blank beside the menu item.

I'm hoping there is a shortcut that I'm not aware of, as anytime you need to print cmyk with tapered lines. They show up on all plates (no matter the color) with Black Tapered (profile) lines being the biggest offenders. Having the short cut would save some time. Having an Icon would save even more in the long run.

Thanks
    Last edited by wW; 15 September 2005 at 09:20 PM.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

One only has to use MS Money to know that Microsoft can be very fluid in standards. You can't even scroll down a list with arrow keys.

I'm glad paste in place is going in the edit menu in Xara X. It was ages before I realised it existed, so hopefully it will be more obvious to users now.

Although I learnt about clone this week, so that's my new friend.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

"Er, where doesn't Xara X follow Microsoft conventions?" Charles

As long as we are talking varibles standards... how about ctrl-U for underline. Or at least a button...

Just expressing a wish... minor one at that.

Re: XaraX2 request for Charles Moir: Ctrl+Shift+V

Quote Originally Posted by LogoVend
    Sorry to be a pedant but don't you mean Ctrl + Tab not Alt + Tab because last time I used word to do some spell check something I was drawing in Xara Alt + Tab still bounced me back and forth between applications - hows about Microsoft adding spell-check to the OS API - now that would be something special!
    Alt + Tab is, and has been since W3, switch application. The spellcheck thing touches a nerve with me though: When MS took over Houghton Mifflin (CorrectSpell) they published the API calls on MSDN, half way through my coding a spillchocker they removed the info from the KB. GRRRRRR!