Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What's it called

i am sorry if this is not the right place for my question but i didn't know where to post it. do any of you know the name of the device used by artist that looks like a robotic arm and is used to trace objects on a computer? thanks

Default Re: What's it called

A 3d digitizer?
    Here's a site:
    http://www.immersion.com/digitizer/

that was it thanks

Now, if only that little contraption worked in reverse, with a dremel on this side of things, so that one could easily have thier models being carverd out over the dinner break or what have yas...

Google Rapid prototyping, Gidgit.
    Here's one site:
    http://www.computersculpture.com/Pag...x_Milling.html
    Pretty steep prices, though....
    And you'd probably turn your studio into a machine shop....
    Simple robotic arms probably don't have the savvy needed to switch between heavy and light machining, maybe... unless you're willing to risk having them wield sharp chisels or high powered lasers while waving around your piece... (Flashing red lights and severed heads all over the place while the robot arm does an Edward Scissorhands impersonation)
    Last edited by Grafixman; 30 August 2005 at 02:39 PM.

yea, pretty steep indeed... too bad they didn't have some mini hobby machine for us lowly enthusiasts to enjoy

good to post the link, thanks Gman...

Ouch, quite the picture you paint... hmmm, wonder if all of this isn't so far away... oooh, they be coming, run...

Ah, no worries, we extrude something bigger, faster, stronger, hit the create button and whoila... defence