Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I know the scale line width button is there, but I tend to forget about it -- until I have to go back and reset a line width that's scaled when I didn't want it to.

On the whole, I prefer that the function be left as it is now. If you're going to extend the scaling option to other attributes, they need to be set separately, either via buttons or a check list.

My first inclination is buttons, but a checklist would remind me to consider other attributes. You might also include a button or checkbox for turning "all attributes" on in one click.

The settings need to be sticky, though. I've learned to save or save as before doing any operation I can't back out of easily. It's infuriating to have to re-enter specs over and over again.

This might be slightly off topic, but I'd like to see a "Properties Gallery" where one could view all the properties of the selected object.

Also, there, one should be able to toggle whether line/feather scales with resize. One should be able to quicky select gradient colors.

Most importantly, there should be a little tree-view graph there which shows where in the hierarchy the object is, both layer wise, stacking wise and clip wise.

Like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	properties_gallery.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	17066  
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

Hmm... perhaps I should've created a new topic for that suggestion. I mean, it's a sufficiently big change... put all the most commonly used properties into a quickly changeable dialog window. Full drag'n drop support, of course. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

That properties gallery would really be handy.

I would rather see an object gallery. And by clicking on objects in the gallery, you would get a drop down of all the properties/attributes of that object. I would use this gallery to select objects and drag and drop attributes from one object to another. This would help especially with pasting shadow attributes.

But hey now, we're probably outside the scope of the topic and outside of what the team at Xara is realistically capable of delivering this year.

I would also like to be able use the arrow keys to cycle through fonts and colors and apply them. It would make trying to find a certain font easier than trying to find it just by looking at it in the gallery. The letters AaBbCc and the name of the font are often not indicative enough of qualities of other letters, especially if you cannot remember the name of the font you are looking for.

Still, I would rather Charles hear our wishful thinking and decide what they can and cannot do than not hear it at all.

Sheffield Abella
    www.sheff.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ObjectGallerySuggestion.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	11460  
    Sheff
    My Site

Yes! That's exactly what I wanted for the Properties Gallery...

(I did that late last night.)

...I guess what I drew could be an idea for an updated Layers Gallery (which would then include clipviews, grouped objects and individual objects).

This has got rather off topic, which started as whether we should make the 'scale line width' button also control feather, bevel scaling.

Some asked whether we could control this on an object by object basis (as the mock up object gallery from Sheffield implies). The answer is yes, anything is possible, but that's more work and so not an option for the next release. The question was asked about the existing button because we knew it involved no new UI, and probably not much work.

I love Sheffeild's object gallery. Very nice. That would be very powerful. I think perhaps this is the best way to go - or a properties gallery, or even a simple properties dialog, where all the properties of an object can be adjusted and that could include whether attributes such as line width, feather, bevel, shadow, contour scale with the object.

Oh, and really off the original topic, in answer to the point about lines being rendered inside our outside, remember that the whole rendering concept for all drawing programs is based on the basic Postscript principles, and that defined very exactly how lines were stroked and where they should appear and how they should behave. So that's why lines are stroked exactly over the centre of the shape outline. Now, having said that, other programs have 'bodged' a solution where they separate the stroke from the shape and so can simulate rendering the lines on the inside, outside, under and over the original shape. But the price you pay for that is speed (it's really two separate rendering operations). But a nice to have feature nonetheless, so maybe we can add it some day.

And keep the suggestions, like the Object Gallery mock-up, coming. Whether I respond or not, we do take note of these suggestions and do compile our actual work priorities using this feedback, along with our own ideas of course.

Oh MAN Sheffield, you really read our minds with this one!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Totally cool and totally powerful looking and Charles seems quite taken with the idea too!!

Big thumbs up to you buddy for the time and effort you took to mock this up!! I hope that Charles and Co. will think about this sereously, it would make XaraX all the more powerful and each object all the more easily controlled. I think there is one thing missing though, maybe just extend the little check boxes all the way down under the eye icon to allow the user to turn off each of the effects/fills/line width's/ect... All the more powerful!!

Man this is great!! Thanks again Sheffield!

Ohhhhh Charles.............We want this!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com//Publi..._Prowl_sig.gif

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/RAMWolffsWorld
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that we're on the same wavelength.

I would be willing to mock up other features should such discussions come up in other threads. I would like to see other users visualize some of their feature requests. It would help to understand what everyone wants.

I guess the general impetus for the design is the desire to have one place where you could control all aspects of object properties. To have one repository where you could make all your changes would save you time and be very obvious and intuitive. I'm glad that Charles is open to hearing our suggestions.

Like I said, I guessed that this would be outside of the scope next(update) release but it is something that I would like to see in X2.

In terms of functionality, I think the object gallery should only display what is on the current layer. I do think that the layer gallery and object gallery should remain separate.

With regard to the inside, outside, center aspects of stroke placement; My workaround when the stroke gets too big and starts to come too far into the object(usually a font) I will clone the object and remove the line. So now I have a line that is outside of my original object.

Sheffield Abella
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Hmm... no comment on my mock-up...

So I guess nested clipviews and drag-and-drop layers are not on the table?

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I think your layer gallery is fine. It would totally work for rearranging objects without accidentally moving them. It would also help with moving objects back and forth on layers as well. One addition I might add would be custom folders within the layers. That way you could drag objects into folders and turn on/off multiple objects by turning on/off the custom folder.

I also like your drag and drop idea. That's how I envision my version to drag and drop attributes.

Good job on your mock up.

Sheffield Abella
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site