Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All's well.

I re-installed SP2 and X3D5 still works.

hi dmb06851,

I would assume just a corrupted load of X3D... Or maybe it was just friggin magic? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I'm having issues with this as well. I have several screen savers that were created with X3D5 that no-longer work after installing SP2. I just get a blank screen when my machine goes to screen saver.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric,

Are all screen savers crashing or just the ones you created? I do not usually use screensavers, but I tested 2 and they both worked with no problems.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

John,

Only the screen savers that I created have stopped working. All of the Windows screen savers (and other not from MS screen savers)still work.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric (bcire),

I started a thread, back about a month ago, on this very subject. After installing SP-2, all the screensavers I created with Xara3D stopped working. As you described it, all I get is a blank black screen. All other, MS and other 3rd party screensavers work fine. This is the only anomaly I have experienced after installing SP-2 several months ago.

I suspect it might be due to a missing and necessary "Codec". What may be related to this issue is another incident where I created a screensaver for a client who recently purchased a brand new PC from me. The Xara3D screensaver wouldn't work at all; not even a blank screen, but rather an error message was displayed complaining about a missing Codec. I thought I had located the necessary file and tried to install it but failed.

Hopefully, since this issue has arisen again, someone will be able to provide at least an explanation if not a fix or work-around.

Jeff

I have just come across this issue - its due to XP SP2 'crippling' of the Indeo codec. I found this out last night the hard way, when a few dozen of our corp systems were updated to SP2, and the company screensaver stopped working. Even though our systems have Indeo 5 codec installed for this purpose, Microsoft deemed it necessary to nerf the usage.

It may be a legal thing, but i don't know for sure. I will now have to go back and use X3D6 to make a new one, and use a different codec (which X3D5 doesn't offer).

So why hasn't XAra spoken up about this? One of the best ads for Xara 3d was there screensavers. Since we installed SP2 updates etc all the screensavers in our company don't work. I got 6 to see if it would solve the problem it just crashes when I export to scr

it is kind of hard when you write a program and the OS cripples the parts you need. Whose falt would it be???? I would say Microsux! Gripe to them.