Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: desktop

A simple drawing which took about an hour to complete. Nothing difficult but the details of the pen required more time.

The pen: mostly (edited) rectangles. Bevel tool.
    The text: typed (in French) with handwriting fonts
    The leather parts: bevelled.
    The magnifying glass: handle made of edited rectangle + blended lines.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here to help improve my art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bureau.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	14735  

A simple drawing which took about an hour to complete. Nothing difficult but the details of the pen required more time.

The pen: mostly (edited) rectangles. Bevel tool.
    The text: typed (in French) with handwriting fonts
    The leather parts: bevelled.
    The magnifying glass: handle made of edited rectangle + blended lines.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here to help improve my art.

Jean-Guy,

Looks like you are making good progress. You've done some nice things here. The first thing that catches my attention,however, is that the magnifying glass has a different point of perspective than the rest of the scene (which appears to be viewed from directly above).

So I think changing the perspective of the magnifying glass is important. Also you may want its metal frame to be more shiney and give its lens some transparency, and light reflection. Also, add a shadow similar to that of the fountain pen.

I think this would give your image more consistency. There are other things that can be done but this should be a good start.

It looks a little too perfect, maybe make the paper wrinkled/torn/folded edges? Also, make the the glass on the magnifying glass a little more transparent. And since you're looking straight down on it, there doesn't need to be any perspective on the glass, just the glass with a small metal outline. Try to work on composition a little more also, maybe adding some paperclips, piles of paper, pencil sharpener, mouse, etc., whatever!
    I like the objects in it, and especially the bevel on both sides of the pad. C-y [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Wow John, we posted at exactly the same time! How weird is that!?!?

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

I like the pen most, the rest needs rework. Steve and John gave some good suggestions how. Well, I would just like to add some philosophical bla bla...

In the realistic drawing the most important part of the drawing is not the sharpness, precise colors, and quality of rendering, but unsharpnes, bad colors and overal bad image quality of the rendering. On computer it's very hard to make something real as it always produces everything perfectly clean and shiny.

Roman

I agree with the above points. One further thought; Try overlapping some or all of the objects in the image to tie them all together, and I would sugest that the magnifying glass may be enlarged in relation to the pen.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Jean Guy

Good image here. As Eric said, the image is too static, magnifying glass, leather desk pad and centered paper, pen.

Suggestions: Maybe you do not need to show the entire blotter and leather desk pad. Perhaps you could zoom in and see just one edge of the pad. And the desk pad could be rotated a little. I would have the magnifying glass over the page as if the reader were using it for something other than decoration.

Hope this helps. Your images are getting better all the time :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    beehive us rob melt </a>

Thx for all comments. I changed several things and, though I’m still not satisfied with the way I “aged” the leather pad, I must say that the overall look is a big improvement over the original image.

To put unity in the drawing I brought together letter, pen and magnifying glass.
    As Gary suggested, I rotated/zoomed in the view.
    I changed the perspective of the magnifying glass, enlarged it, made the lens more transparent, the handle more metal-like and added a shadow.
    Thanks to Dmagician, I now know that I have to `age` things a bit, but I still lack experience in that area: I folded a corner of the paper,
    added indentations here and there, and made some “splats” on the blotter.
    I also added paperclips (nice suggestion, Steve),

All in all, I changed so many things it's not the same picture any more, but a much better one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bureau2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	14906  

Ooops, I forgot to cut the bottom part. Oh well, another time.