Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Rh
    I think everybody sees your point; new users would in your opinion find it hard to customise the toolbars, (control bars, command bars etc.). You obviously have strong feelings about the importance of this issue, but I for one feel that a new user is unlikely to want to immediately adjust the tool bars from the default set up as it would make finding tools harder when trying to follow either help or video instructions.

I also genuinely believe that once the user has gained enough confidence with the product he/she would be able to adjust the bars perfectly well from the instructions that are given in the help files and so layout the work space to suit themselves. That would also seem to be the general opinion of the majority of the people using Xara who visit this site.

I think it would be unfortunate for this issue to begin to dominate the Talkgraphics site because most people who visit here wish to show or talk about graphics, not argue about an arrangement of command bars in Xara.
    I’m sure you could start a topic in any of the other forums dealing with different pieces of software and make similar arguments about the lack of convenience in some aspect of the UI or the difficulty in performing various actions within that software.

The simple truth of the mater is that any new piece of software is initially hard to get into at the beginning. Xara is no different, whilst at the same time being, (again in my opinion), simpler and much more user friendly than most.

Lets talk about something more interesting and if you still feel strongly about this issue contact Xara direct with your points I’m sure they will listen to any constructive criticism.

derek

P.S. On a different matter. Is everyone having trouble with attachments or is it just me?
    IP

You know,Rh, I've been thinking and........You're right!!! I have been very stupid! This is a nightmare!!! I hate trying to edit these toolbars! I can't believe Xara could do this- create a such a great product but leave out the ONE element that makes other drawing programs stand out. What was I thinking when I bought this?!? You have made me see the errors of my ways. Thank you so much. How can I ever repay you?

-Lisa
    IP

Just a couple more facts, I'm not agreeing with one side or the other.

I've used Xara X¹ and its four predecessors for over 10 years, and have bought the last two of them on the first day they've been available.

I've never even needed to customise a control bar http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    IP

i've used 100's of apps and i agree with you daniel i have never needed to customize a toolbar.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

I agree with rh.
    Very unnecessary & unprofessional,in attacking him. Not everyone uses the product on a daily basis.
    IP

Hi Dale,
    The "attacks" were started by rh ... just look at the past couple of weeks in this forum. He made attack after attack on the Xara product until he finally received the amount of attention he thought he deserved. Unfortunately, it was negative. Of course the core users of this forum (and of Xara X1 itself) are going to defend the product ... many of them were beta testers for at least one iteration of the program. They have corresponded for days on end with the software engineers at Xara while both sides were trying to create the best possible product under the time and budget constraints allowed. Yes they have a vested interest in the program and the good people at Xara who allow us to have this fabulous forum ... and YES they take attacks personally. Many of these same core users have time and time again posted wish lists for features they would like to see in future versions of the software. Many of the features that Xara DOES have came from suggestions by people right here at this forum. I haven't found this type of symbiotic relationship at Corel, or Adobe, or Macromedia ... but it exists here ... and it was here a long time before rh first started his rants/raves ... and it will be here a long time after he is gone. The people at Xara (and YES ... they ARE people) ... are very responsive to well thought out feature requests, and even some constructive criticism. However, they are likely to react the same way anyone would to the type of ranting and raving that rh does. Whining, ranting, and criticising will never illicit the preferred response.

I would hope, Dale, that you agree with rh's points regarding the toolbars in principle ... rather than agreeing with this methods for attempting to effect a change.

-Ed.
    IP

Personaly, I give up....

My thee blessing be with you my child, as the earth trembles under the warmth of your passing. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Have thee mercy on Xara LTD and spare it from it's shame....
    IP

i gave up to i saw the light from RH and deleted Xara and every other program i had since it started driving me crazy. then i tossed out the laptop. so now i have no computer. i am sending this via my phones web browser. (sigh) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

RH.
    I'm afraid I missed this on first reading of your post but I couldn't let it pass without comment, much as I don't want to perpetuate this.

This goes to show you that quite a few forum member, especially those who really know how to use X1 and have posted their work, really want to keep this product all to themselves because if you have 10 times the number customers, these long time forum members could have 10 times more competition as they do now.
    This is because they will not be the only ones that can make stunning graphics and have discovered their secret to their success.
    I really think we are entering the realms of the surreal.
    Do you really think that people regularly visit and contribute to this forum as a way of keeping Xara a secret. All the posts that emphasise the ease of use of Xara with examples of graphics / illustration that readily explain the techniques used to obtain the results are there to disguise the existance of Xara? The Xaraxone with years of tutorials going back over several versions of the program exist to prevent people from considering purchasing the product? Are the links to this forum, Graphics.com, Xaraxone and Xara Home page on the web sites of members of this forum specifically there to prevent people becoming aware that Xara exists and is fairly easy to master?
    I have personally been recommending Xara to people for years and regularly demonstate it's superiority for certain tasks against the likes of CorelDraw etc.
    The best success in turning someone onto Xara for me was a artist who suffering from Parkinsons disease was unable to draw with a pencil anymore. She began to use Xara and now produces wonderful images, as she can cope with a mouse better than a pencil. (I'm trying to persuade her to post here).
    It's like me, as a reasonable draughtsman, trying to dissuade people from using pencils to prevent comparison with my own drawings, from which I do earn a living.
    RH I am more than willing to accept that your motives for your criticisms of Xara are for the best but you need to list your criticisms clearly and concisely and adress them to Xara rather than question the motives of people who jump to the defence of a product they enjoy and use succesfully and so perhaps don't appriciate where you are comming from.

Derek
    IP

Well said Derek.
    IP