Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: ZBrush - Wow!!!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Along with the discovery of Real-Draw and all it has to offer has been an introduction to ZBrush. A demo of this program by Pixologic can be downloaded at www.zbrush.com. What is interesting about it is that it is a painting program which incorporates 3d aspects. Playing with it is great fun - the results can be quite rewarding.

It seems to be a good creative companion for Xara. An image like the one below could be easily enhanced in Xara. (I only added the text).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zbrushbutton.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	2272  

Along with the discovery of Real-Draw and all it has to offer has been an introduction to ZBrush. A demo of this program by Pixologic can be downloaded at www.zbrush.com. What is interesting about it is that it is a painting program which incorporates 3d aspects. Playing with it is great fun - the results can be quite rewarding.

It seems to be a good creative companion for Xara. An image like the one below could be easily enhanced in Xara. (I only added the text).

Regards, Ross

Ross, I'm way ahead of you: I discovered ZBrush last fall. It's a really remarkable and innovative program - but I haven't found any real use for it yet! That's partly due to its overzealously revolutionary UI - unlike even Kai's UIs, ZBrush doesn't have regular pull-down menus! So it's learning curve for serious work - unlike playing aorund and making weird effects - is rather steep. But I'm sure it could repay to learn it - but for now, I'm too blown away by RealDRAW to have time for anything else!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Yeah Zbrush looks kinda neat ...and an original kindof method. I haven't played much with it as I was messing with realdraw today a bit. Zbrush is a little outof my financial reach right now and it will probably go up to it's normal price soon so then it will definately be too much). Well anyway , I've spent enough time on the computer for now ... time to go paint with real brushes and real paint :-)

David King
    www.dkingdesign

PS (I think the phone connection in my power bar got fried or something. There was a massive thunderclap here and the power went off for a second. When I restarted to check the computer out and tried to get online, it said "no dial tone". After checking the connections it was the same. I unplugged the phone cable from the power bar and put it right into the computer ...and it worked. Well I'm glad it was the power bar and not the modem anyway :-) .... )

in the Realdraw thread.
    I think that, in their enthusiasm about their programme, they mistook the full price for the introductory price, and are asking about at least the double I would be prepared to pay for it. Last fall, they asked my opinion (very friendly), and my idea too was that it works just great but those plasticine thingies can't inspire me, and are of no use to me.

I've been having fun with ZBrush almost all day but I'm left a little dazed. As stated in the other thread (on Real-Draw) I have almost no experience with paint programs. Before Xara, I used CorelDraw5 for a while and before that I used (and loved) an old Mac program named Dream!.
    So it is that my computer graphics experience has been solidly founded upon object-oriented vector illustration tools. Playing with "paint" really highlights how great the object-oriented approach is. It makes me appreciate that everything in my xara drawing remains editable. It also makes me newly aware of how much my working method relys on that editability.

I certainly can't imagine ZBrush replacing Xara in my tool chest, but if it was more affordable it would certainly have a place along side Xara. You can certainly do some things easily in it that you would be hard pressed to produce in Xara. And, of course, most of what can be done in Xara could never be done in ZBrush.

Regards, Ross

First time I saw a press release of Zbrush, I said WOW, that's a great idea, I have to get the soft.
    But then I play a bit with the demo and I was largely dissapointed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . It is interesting piece of software and sure it does something other software can't but for that "something" you pay 292.50
    That's a way off price for what you can get from it. I think reasonable price would be $99 and I would probably buy it, but not 3 times more. (Xara cost what? $150,,truespace5 cost now $395)
    I just hope the software features will in future versions come close to its current price.
    My opinion.

[This message was edited by Oscar on April 22, 2001 at 03:44 PM.]