Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've asked this in the web design area, but to get a speedy answer here goes:

Can anyone point me to a very old browser - I'd like to see how my pages (with Java scripts) look in browsers that don't support such things.

That is, for example, what is show of a roll over image when the Java bit is is run?

Turan

I've asked this in the web design area, but to get a speedy answer here goes:

Can anyone point me to a very old browser - I'd like to see how my pages (with Java scripts) look in browsers that don't support such things.

That is, for example, what is show of a roll over image when the Java bit is is run?

Turan

very good site - worth a look.

Hope it is wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Turan,

Take a look at the Webmonkey browser compatibiliy chart at . . .
    Webmonkey Browser Compatibility Chart.

It's getting me worried, if it says the next rel of IE (6) has no Java support?

Am I reading the table correctly?

If I'm right roll overs are Java based (had to get a Xara theme into this thread).

Turan

Turan

You're right if you look at simply at the Java column - it isn't supported in IE6. However, if you look a little more carefully, Javascript IS supported. It appears about half way along the top row.

There are a lot of people out there who seem to get Java and Javascript confused - and understandably as well. I'm no expert when it comes to Java and its purpose, but as far as I am aware Java is purely an application programming language, but I'm willing to be proved wrong on this. However, Javascript is an HTML scripting language albeit a somewhat complex one. What on earth possessed Netscape to name the language so closely to another language with a different purpose, one that could be (and is) so easily confused, goodness only knows. Nevertheless, they have and we're stuck with it.

Essentially you have no need to worry about IE6 and Javascript - it is supported.

Tracey

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I just posted in your other thread Turan - and what the heck, I'll post the same thing here! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"A recent post reminded me that some time ago (years) I came across a browser emulator tool for web developers to use to test their sites (without the need for dozens of installed browsers). I just checked it out (that bookmarked 'favorite' finally came in useful) and see it is no longer being sold/supported but you can still download it. Find it here."

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Java is supported in IE6 and Windows XP. It just isn't installed by default, because SUN wouldn't give MS a license to include the latest version. MS didn't want to be shipping out of date code (and wanted to spite Sun back I guess).

If you connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ you'll get the option to install the Java VM (that being the previous one, which shipped with IE5).

The windows update site is worth stopping by periodically anyway, as patches and security fixes will be made available from there.

Hi , I have come across a program called browserola which lets you view how your page looks in various browsers right from ie1 and nn1

try searching for it at download.com

:-)
    Q