Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, Stuart again.

I may have mentioned that I'm currently going for my batchelors degree in Fine Arts (or whatever), and I am teaching myself QXP, and eventually all the other programs.

I know that self-teaching is a slow, and sometimes patchy way to do things, but this my present situation.

Again, to re-enter the trade, even as a page layout tech, do I really need a degree?

Your replies will be very helpful to me.

Stuart B.
    IP

Hi, Stuart again.

I may have mentioned that I'm currently going for my batchelors degree in Fine Arts (or whatever), and I am teaching myself QXP, and eventually all the other programs.

I know that self-teaching is a slow, and sometimes patchy way to do things, but this my present situation.

Again, to re-enter the trade, even as a page layout tech, do I really need a degree?

Your replies will be very helpful to me.

Stuart B.
    IP

Stuart,

You probably don't want to hear this, but...

I am a multimedia designer and programmer. Self taught, no degree (yet). I guess I've done OK, however, I can't recommend strongly enough that you get a degree. I wish I had done that when I was 20, it would have made things so much easier for me over the years.

In the past 5 years I have completed some hours towards my own degree, but I am a long way from finishing. And it's a *lot* harder doing it in small chunks on late afternoons and evenings than it would have been when I was younger!

My experience lately has been that most employers are looking more for a degree than actual experience. This is not so much the case with programming skills, but a degree will almost always open up doors that won't open up any other way, even in programming.

I don't necessarily agree with this emphasis on degrees, but that's just how it is. And I *really* don't agree that just because someone has a degree that they are automatically "management material," but that happens a lot too.

I wish you luck. Trust me, you'll be better off by getting that paper!

Stan
    IP

It has been my experience that having the degree doesn't hurt you. Not having the degree can.

The degree is not mandatory. But, as you know, in getting your "Graphics Degree" you must take courses in English, Math, History, Economics, Languages, etc. This makes Jack a not so dull boy.

If you're sharp, you will do fine. The best attributes I find in any person (employee) are enthusiam, interest, good work ethic. I hate boring, lazy, loafers. Don't watch the clock.

I've seen a situation where the best person couldn't get promoted because "No Degree". And the one who got the Director of Marketing position had a degree in Physical Education. (I'm not kidding). So it also depends on your direction.

[This message was edited by 4cp Printer on April 02, 2001 at 03:35 PM.]
    IP

I waited a while before getting my degree in graphic design. I wish I had done it sooner. Believe me it does make a difference. I have experienced with and without a degree.

A degree is the cool way to go. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    Best Wishes
    Eferr
    IP

A degree is going to provide 25% of what you need to know, and it will help you to obtain the other 75% easily.

I highly recommend you go for it.
    IP

Most of the jobs I've been involved in just want to see samples of your work and professional references. A degree wouldn't hurt. Get it while you're young. This biz is ever changing. People will always want to see your stuff. Get ready.
    IP

Hey Stuart, I know how you feel. I'm currently a Design student and I do alot of freelance work on the side. I've found that its really tough to want to keep going to school when I found out how much money I could make on my own. However, I realized that what seems like alot of money to a student wont in a few years and if the Degree helps me keep moving up then so be it.

Also I find that when I'm freelancing I don't get to do anything just for creativity's sake. School is my chance to make projects that show off how creative and cool i can be instead of just proving that I can use a computer. People are usually more willing to let me do what I want if they see that I can come up with a good idea on my own.
    IP

No one has ever asked me about a degree, they just look at my work.

Things are changing so fast that everything technical I learned in school is obsolete now. The only thing I'd consider vital are the foundation art classes; art history, drawing, color theory, etc... These are invaluable. Color theory is especially important as far as digital color.

All the computer stuff is better learned by doing. Spend your money on hardware and software rather that tuition.

I've found that what works best for me is to keep taking classes. I plan to do this forever, one or two at a time, as the old ways become outdated. The last thing I went back for, was to learn HTML. My next thing will be some more color courses.

[This message was edited by mom_de_bomb on May 08, 2001 at 04:02 PM.]
    IP

I have to strongly disagree with those suggesting a degree is not going to advance your career. In many cases, when going for a job, the degree is going to make a huge difference. During my own career, in art director and creative director positions, I have had the opportunity to interview and hire designers. If I had a situation with two designers showing me similar skills/talents, and one had a degree, the degreed designer would probably get the job.

It's much more than just having the piece of paper. It has a lot to do with the fact the individual has taken the intiative to pursue the education and stuck with it. The fact the designer with a degree has that documented, varied education is going to matter to me. Often employers will post the requirement of a degree for a job - it is most certainly going to be an issue with them.

Do you NEED a degree to be successful in design? No, it is not a necessity. Will a degree make a difference in your career opportunties? Most likely. The person it will make the biggest difference to is yourself. I know way too many designers who now say "Gee, I wish I would have...."

Jeff Fisher
    Engineer of Creative Identity

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
    http://www.jfisherlogomotives.com

[This message was edited by Jeff Fisher LogoMotives on May 08, 2001 at 05:04 PM.]
    IP