Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi,

i really need some help on how to export shadows in Xarax.

I do most of my logo design in XaraX, so far mainly for web use, but since the demand of my clients for print use has increased, i have to export the files to .ai, .eps or just anything vector/editable and printable.

Now, no matter what i try, as soon as a logo uses a shadow and although i convert the shadow to (editable) shapes, the export never really works.All i get for instance when exporting to .ai and then opening in AI (10)is a stupid black box around the rest of the logo (which except the shadow has exported perfectly) but not anything that looks any way close to the shadow as it was created.

Same goes for when exporting to Xara eps - logo exports nice but shadow doesnt.

As i'm using shadows a lot in my logo designs i really need your help here - trying to recreate the shadow in AI or FreeHand or whatever is a pain in the *** and of course it never looks like the one i created in XaraX.

Any help/hints is deeply appreciated.

Thanks ,

Frank

[This message was edited by beatz on December 05, 2003 at 10:03.]

Hi,

i really need some help on how to export shadows in Xarax.

I do most of my logo design in XaraX, so far mainly for web use, but since the demand of my clients for print use has increased, i have to export the files to .ai, .eps or just anything vector/editable and printable.

Now, no matter what i try, as soon as a logo uses a shadow and although i convert the shadow to (editable) shapes, the export never really works.All i get for instance when exporting to .ai and then opening in AI (10)is a stupid black box around the rest of the logo (which except the shadow has exported perfectly) but not anything that looks any way close to the shadow as it was created.

Same goes for when exporting to Xara eps - logo exports nice but shadow doesnt.

As i'm using shadows a lot in my logo designs i really need your help here - trying to recreate the shadow in AI or FreeHand or whatever is a pain in the *** and of course it never looks like the one i created in XaraX.

Any help/hints is deeply appreciated.

Thanks ,

Frank

[This message was edited by beatz on December 05, 2003 at 10:03.]

is only a bitmap Form after exporting,i just want to say do not use the schadw tool in xara,do not use the Bitmap fill, try only to make a vector file in Xara X WITHOUT all this effect and then try it to export to any supject what you want.
    Regards...
    Lord(Mohamed)

Thanks Lord for your contribution, but i still need my question to be answered - PLEASE ! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Someone? Anyone?

This is a major issue for me and there *must* be a different solution than "create your shadows somewhere else than XaraX" (?!)

Thanks,

Frank

Hi,
    Have you tried exporting as PNG bitmap and bringing into your other software as bitmap rather than vector?
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Yeah thanks but that's not solution as i need to export it to a *vector* file (.eps, .ai).

So again, the problem still is that the .ai/.eps export doesnt work for the shadows even if those are converted to shapes before exporting.

Anyone else ?

Ok second solution maybe separate the shadow and export as separate eps or ai file and recombine in you vector application. The shadow should export as vestor from Xara.
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Please, please, don’t export the shadow from Xara direct as shadow, if you want to export your drawin in (EPS, AI OR CMX) then draw the shadow as normal object and put it behind your drawing,give it some transparent and feathering and then export all as (EPS,AI OR CMX) .
    i will attach an example and you see example #1 is with the shadow from Xara, i export it as CMX and then as AI. file the shadow in this case will be converted in Bitmap.
    in example #2 i draw the shadow with the shape editor tool and put it behind my drawingsgroup and exported it again to CMX and AI.file and you see it exported as vector and you can edite it in CD or AI as vector.
    Hope that help.
    Regards...
    Lord(Mohamed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow_exporting.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	13432  

if you see example #1CM and AI you will see the shadow as bitmap not vector drawing, in example#2CM and AI you will see the drawing as vector drawing.
    Hope that help.
    Regards...
    Lord(Mohamed)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SE_WIREFRAME.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	13994  

Some of this might have to do with Xara's AI export filter. I believe it is only compatible up to AI 8. And if I remember correctly, AI 8 did not support transparency. Version 9, 10 and CS support transparency.

Mohamed's suggestion is probably best.

You can also create your shadow in Xara with a hard edge and then blur it in Illustrator. Then the shadow will be compatible with Illustrator's export features.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>