Steve, in one way your mom is right, but she sees the situation as it "is" now. I mean: she sees how it is presented by the Mac -orientated industry.

Lost of them know that the battle has been lost. Indeed: in the beginnings, PC was horrible and no-one with a romantic/artistic mind could or would work with it. And then came Apple with their Mac which was easy to use etc. No thinking, and everything visually represented. Apple gave Macs to lots of design schools. So a tradition was created: Mac, Illustrator and Photoshop.

But PC evolved, and nowadays Mac holds only some 5% of the market.
Their fanaticism is a sign of fear, because if you're not the best anymore, others make take your piece of cake.
Personally I dislike the idea of a Windows (read Microsoft) dominated computerworld, but Mac isn't the future.
As a transition, there is software like Maclan which allows you to run Windows software on Mac.
But more and more design shops now accept PC, often because they can't do otherwise. I even know a prepress/printer who is becoming quite rich because he works for and with people who come with PC designs.

The toughest part is the real industry, those that sell Mac orientated tools for making offset films etc as they have to change their production line AND their belief-system.

The guilt of printers is a very conservative one -except for being motor driven, the process was the same in the nineteen-seventies as it was hundreds of years before. The use of computers is not yet twenty years old. Believe me: the next few years, there will be revolutions with an impact that makes a hydrogen bomb look like childs' play.

Xara is ready for the future: low energy processors, small, handy software etc, etc.
No, in my opinion, if Xara wants to add a new platform, they'd better choose Linux.

My idea.