Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Filters

I have a problem... A friend of mine got me some filters from ebay and when I downloaded them, the original filters on photoshop are gone. How do I get them back without reinstalling photoshop?
    IP

I have a problem... A friend of mine got me some filters from ebay and when I downloaded them, the original filters on photoshop are gone. How do I get them back without reinstalling photoshop?
    IP

You most likely just "pushed" them out of the Filters menu. That happens when you load to many filters; i.e. have too many plugins sitting in your "Filters" folder.

My first suggestion would be to remove those new ones from the Filters folder, then slowly, bit-by-bit, and incrementally, add some to the folder and restart PS. Check that all filters are showing in the menu. If they are, cool, close PS, add another 10 and restart PS again. Checkout the Filter menu again. If all is well, continue the process, if some look to be missing, you'll need to remove some (try 5). Shut down PS, and move 5 of the new filters out of the folder, then restart PS and check the Filter menu again.

If you want to add a lot more than normal, you'll have to group them into subcatagories -- that's what i've done. For that, you can use a Plugin Manager program.

Here's a site that has the info/links you'll need for this. Definately look into doing this:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/wolf359/plugtips.htm

Currently, i run PS7 with 2 sections in my FILTER menu:

1) The native PS filter galleries; in the top half of the menu.
    2) My custom filters, in 16 subcatagories, containing 81 separate filters.

Hope that helps.
    IP

... is it as simple as that you changed the location of the plug-in folder? If you point to any other directory than the Photoshop plug-in directory, the native ones will not be active.

You can just copy your plug-ins to the PS plug-in folder.

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

IP