Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

How does one import a background texture? The help file says this is possible using any jpeg, bitmap, gif etc. Or you can just drag and drop into 3D5.

All my attempts are met with incompatible file messages.

Another thing, say I want to use one of the supplied background textures, but change it's color. Apparently that's not possible either from within 3D5. So, I tried to export the background texture to Xara and manipulate the color there. This is possible, however I can't get it to import back into 3D5.

What am I missing?

Mike

I have gotten it to work. Even though the files are saved as jpeg, bitmap, gif etc., they still must be saved and reside in the textures folder of 3D5 in order for them to work. Interesting piece of coding there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Mike Hennessey on August 11, 2002 at 18:02.]
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

How does one import a background texture? The help file says this is possible using any jpeg, bitmap, gif etc. Or you can just drag and drop into 3D5.

All my attempts are met with incompatible file messages.

Another thing, say I want to use one of the supplied background textures, but change it's color. Apparently that's not possible either from within 3D5. So, I tried to export the background texture to Xara and manipulate the color there. This is possible, however I can't get it to import back into 3D5.

What am I missing?

Mike

I have gotten it to work. Even though the files are saved as jpeg, bitmap, gif etc., they still must be saved and reside in the textures folder of 3D5 in order for them to work. Interesting piece of coding there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Mike Hennessey on August 11, 2002 at 18:02.]
    Ted Nugent

Hi Mike,

Use Alt-X or click the Texture button on the toolbar to bring up the texture dialog. Select background from the dropdown list.

Soquili

Mike I notice you got it to work and edited your post the same time I was posting. I have no problems opening .jpg, .gif, etc. from other folders on my hard drive.

[This message was edited by Soquili on August 11, 2002 at 18:10.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texturewindow.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	1683  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,
    The only way I can get it to work, is by putting it into the textures folder. I had thought this to be rather odd. I'm off to experiment some more.
    Thanks, Mike

Well if that don't beat all. First I tried your method of using dialog box and it worked fine. Then I tried the way I was previously doing it by going to View/background textures and browsing to a folder. It is now working in any folder!!!!!

I'm starting to get like Gary when he says,"I quit wondering how these things happen."

[This message was edited by Mike Hennessey on August 11, 2002 at 18:53.]
    Ted Nugent