Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm new to PSP7 and I love it so far, but I have one question. I notice when I go to save as a JPG file the image shows a white background. How can I make an image transparent so it can be used on websites with different colored backgrounds. They look great on white backgrounds, but if someone wants to use it on a different colored background it shows up with a white box around it. Is there any way to get rid of this white box.
    IP

I'm new to PSP7 and I love it so far, but I have one question. I notice when I go to save as a JPG file the image shows a white background. How can I make an image transparent so it can be used on websites with different colored backgrounds. They look great on white backgrounds, but if someone wants to use it on a different colored background it shows up with a white box around it. Is there any way to get rid of this white box.
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Hi Sandy! and welcome to the forum. Sorry to take so long in replying...but I was out of town all week.

The answer to your question is to save it as a transparent gif...not as a jpg.

In PSP7 don't use the save or save as functions. Instead go to "File", then choose Export and select Gif Optimizer. There is a wizard that will talk you thru all the steps...but once you become familiar with it, it's faster to do it manually. Make sure you select your background color only...the preview box on the right side of the gif optimizzer box will show the graphic with a transparent background.

If you have problems, post another note, and I'll try to go thru it step by step for you.

Hope that helps!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

Joelle, you know far more than I do but exporting into GIF format may well lead to quality loss. If the image is colour intensive, then JPG may be appropriate BUT yes, I accept that one then loses the transparency effect. Have I missed the point?

Jon
    Jon
    IP

Wouldn't it be great if some brainiac could come up with a browser-friendly file format where you can keep your millions of colors and still have a transparent background while keeping the file size down to a minimum?!
    I optimize the majority of my web graphics into .GIFs. Sure, you're limited to 256 colors, but, if you keep this in mind when creating a graphic, the optimized image remains crisp; lossness in .JPEGs can be quite evident even at 75% optimization (the high end of the quality scale for this format). It is a total bummer, I know, you'll just have to experiment.
    Is your image intended for the web? My guess is "yes".
    Maybe you could post a copy of your graphic into your next thread along with text on how it will be eventually used in a web site (if that is the case) and watch the feedback roll in.
    Remember to always type/paint a Copyright notice on all your work before making sending.
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Jon...you do loose the transparancy ability with jpg's...therefore gif's and png's are better if you want a truly transparent background. Not all browsers, expecially the older ones, recognize png's however...so for maximum viewability, gif's are still the way to go.

Joelle

Joelle

IP