Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why is it sooo hard to customize the toolbars? IN Xara 3D6, I can right click on the area and there is a nice word called "Customize..." Just like in Windows and IE and Safari and Firefox and Word and Excel.......

But in X1, I have to play hide and seek and then guess a few riddles to figure out that "Control Bars" is where you do it.

Oooooh, I get it. I was supposed know that since "Control Bars" rhymes with "Toolbars" they are one in the same???

COME ON!! What kind of name is that? Is this Enron trying to conceal there schemes names with Deathstar and Wookie????

Then, I have to hold down ALT, at least that's what I think it is, and then drag the button from WHAT? The Button Palette that needs to be open for me to select the one I really want.

This is complete and utter nonsense and ever since, Xara and CorelXara, it has made customization incredibly difficult for these toolbars.....
    IP

Hey rh

Have you seen those things I call the Mexican finger puzzle? It's a woven tube about 5 inches in length. When you put a finger in each end and pull it gets tighter. In fact, the tighter you pull, the harder it is to extricate your finger from the tube.

Many new users become frustrated with any new software that does not work exactly as they expect it to. But in my experience, each software product has its own logic and its own flow. And the sooner you learn to go with the flow, the easier the software becomes to use.

Is Xara perfect? No. Is any software product perfect? Not that I have found and when I am not monitoring these conferences, I write graphics software reviews so I have had a little experience in this area.

In the Xara Xone Workbook 24 you will find a detailed tutorial for creating a cutom Control Bar (Tool bar). The Workbooks also exaplain how many of Xara's features work.

Gary
    IP

Ummm... Rh besides Gary's wonderful tuts and workbooks there is also a little feature in X1 called help just press F1... Believe it or not it is just like word, excel, fireworks, AI, PS. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    IP

IP

rh,

All the information you need on changing the Control Bars, the background color, etc. is available in the help file, help movies, and XaraXone.
    Please take the time to learn the basics before complaining here. - AF
    IP

I haven't even owned Xara X for a month and I've already started customizing my toolbars. Can't be that hard, however, don't ask me to draw a worm or bubble... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

-Lisa
    IP

In rh's defense, Xara's approach to modifying the toolbar is hardly consistent with how it's done in most other programs I use.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.
    IP

rh, yes, the customization is done differently in Xara X than in other applications, but seriously, it's hardly rocket science. Any person who can comb him or herself, without getting hurt, should be able to figure it out. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

In general, there are (many) other features that are less evident, and not easily or at all explained in the help files. If it wasn't for Gary's tips & tricks at the XaraXone, they would soon slip in to oblivion. Some of those keyboard shortcuts should make it to the toolbar. It would be like adding 50 more features to the application...
    IP

rh, Just how many times do you need to customize the toolbar, most of us probably do it just once and then keep it that way. If you want a particular layout create a new one and switch off the others.

At least Xara does have customisable toolbars - unlike some other programs which don't even have a toolbar for the basic functions like copy,paste etc.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

rh

I just have one question:

Where you a whiny child? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    IP