Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've found this beautiful colour picker which I would love to use for my design-a-wall page. BUT it falls over in IE 5. It seems to be to do with the minus colour numbers it produces. IE 5 can cope with some of the layers, though not all. Needless to say Opera 5 cannot cope either.

Have you found a more browser independent equivalent - or can you fix the code!

If you fancy the challenge, have a look:

http://home.netscape.com/computing/w...9981111-5.html

Many thanks!!!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

I've found this beautiful colour picker which I would love to use for my design-a-wall page. BUT it falls over in IE 5. It seems to be to do with the minus colour numbers it produces. IE 5 can cope with some of the layers, though not all. Needless to say Opera 5 cannot cope either.

Have you found a more browser independent equivalent - or can you fix the code!

If you fancy the challenge, have a look:

http://home.netscape.com/computing/w...9981111-5.html

Many thanks!!!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Argh! Wish I could help you Simon - time just doesn't allow right at the moment. Sorry! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

However, I did have a thought - there is a similar beast that does work in IE 4+ at http://www.colorschemer.com/online/. Maybe you could do a browser sniffer that would send NN to one and IE to the other?

Good luck!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I've put Version 1 at the address below for anyone interested to take a look at.

www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk/upload/colour.html

This is, as you can see, based on a palette method - using XaraX I created a matrix of colours where the base colours are across the bottom and tints of each are in the columns above. I then had to record the #ffffff code and put that into the JavaScript. Oh what a fiddle!

It seems to work in Netscape 4 and IE. Opera doesn't like putting a background colour behind transparent gifs. Nuts.

For printing, you need to set your browser to print backgrounds.

I'd love to use the LAYER-driven approach of Michael Bostock's Color Picker 2.0, but IE 5 has some trouble with it - and so will older browsers - so it needs complex re-working.

I'd also like to give immediate feedback on the colours chosen - in IE I could flick the bgcolor of a table's cell, but Netscape can't cope - I would need to use layers. So one solution would test for browser and then do one of these.

Another trick will be to put more complex images into the bands - so a dado has a patterned effect, for example.

Any comments very gratefully received.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP