Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I don't recall seeing this interesting technique discussed before. It further extends the flexibility of xara's already impressive bevel tool.

The word "Xara" in the image below features two distinct fills and yet it was generated from a single text object with a bevel and a drop shadow applied. The two fills are one that looks like stone and the other is the blue sticks pattern.

Previously I had made a transparent png bitmap of the blue sticks. They had been a blend on a curve. I right-clicked the blend and selected "make a bitmap copy" which dropped a transparent png bitmap copy on the drawing.

The text shape was filled with the stone fill, beveled and shadowed. The inside bevel I applied was as large as possible. I observed that the beveled shape is comprised of two objects that can be selected independantly - the "bevel" and the "text object". I noted that each had the same bitmap fill (the stone pattern). By playing around with these fills I noticed that if the bevel fill is switched to a transparent bitmap, like the sticks png, both it and the text object's fill display at the same time.

I suspect this technique could have practical uses beyond doing funky "xara" images like my example. If that's all it is good for, I'm okay with that too.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sticks.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	18991