Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
Simple subjects and compositions can be harder to pull off than fantasy stuff, because it has its roots in reality, that, with the exception of a few politicians, is what we live in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vegetables 2022.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	132682
Not that I think you were poking at me with the fantasy comment. While some of my work is waaay over the top, nearly all of it is tied to reality in some way. Fantasy doesn't work if you cannot get past a suspension of disbelief, and to accomplish that, there needs to be a tie to reality. Consider my last fantasy illustration posted in my thread, which I happen to have tweaked last night and in the last few hours of rendering the final image now. It's a cluster of asteroids held together by the webs of massive spiders living in space. If you can accept the notion that lifeforms can live in open space, even perhaps some kind of alien spider, then seeing the science of using strong webs to hold asteroids together makes some kind of sense. Someone suggested - wouldn't it be cool of trails of webbings hundreds of miles long connected the spider's nest to nearby larger asteroids to create large web nets to catch passing small asteroids, and potentially passing starships - to make for an interesting threat to adventurers. The webbing shown in the illustration looks real, despite it being fantasy.

It takes a lot of contemplation, between imagination and what is acceptable to others' realities. Not every fantasy works, unless it's intrinsically tied to reality somehow.