Chuck, dreamweaver can indeed add alot of unneeded code to your pages. But this does not necessarily have to be the case...if you avoid using layers and use tables to control the layout, you can make pages that do not add any of those anoying non-breaking spaces or transparent gifs. Each and every little character or space in an html file adds file size. If the page is using nonbreaking space (nbsp thingy), this adds 5 characters everythime it is used. And the transparent gif uses even more. Individually these things dont add alot, but when you have a whole wack of them, they can add 10 K or more to the page.

Hey Jen...you bring back memories. I remember quite a while back how you just loved using frames. Interesting how things change eh? I agree though...most everything that is done in frames, can be done by using tables. The only real advantage is having the navigational area on screen at all times.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you go the frames route, there is JavaScript code you can add to each page so that backdoor entrants get the frameset loaded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon, can you elaborate on this. I am currently doing a site that uses frames and this sounds like a good thing to add to each page. Do you think I should add this to the navbar pages too. Yikes...that is alot of pages that has to have this added. (another disadvantage is the number of pages you have to deal with).

Thanks,

Beth