Hi
I have Xara Designer Pro X 12.8.0.50771 DL x64 Jul 12 2017 running on an up to date Win10 PC with 20gB ram
I have got to a point in a long running web design where Xara is failing to save, crashing and leaving me with zero byte XAR files.

I have tried restoring from back-ups but often end up with same disastrous situation on my hands. Typically, when saving the site (which I'm now doing after every operation)and sometimes when I just want to preview it, Xara gives me a message in the bottom left hand corner saying 'converting symbols' and when that message doesn't go away, I know I have the problem.. Xara inevitably crashes and most of the time leaves me with a zero byte XAR file.

Regarding symbols, I have not used any that I know of in the site, but Xara often also gives me a message that symbols have indeed been used and consequently it will have to upload the 51kB symbol font when the site is published. I can turn the message off, but it begs several questions 1. Why is it raising the question of symbols if I haven't used any? 2. How can I tell if and where (and on what pages) a symbol might be present when Xara, unlike my other graphic design program doesn't have an object property find, or find and replace function.. i.e. I don't know how to find any errant symbols let alone how to get rid of them quickly! 3. I have already tried going back several back-up levels, but sooner or later I end up with the same messages and the same result; what should I do?

I should mention that the site is fairly basic, with use of the sticky feature on all pages, and extensive use of the pop-up layer feature on one. It is now two weeks past the delivery schedule through various issues, but this this very frustrating to say the least. I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Frank