While many may say that Xara is not the best tool for page layout, and I'd agree, I use Xara exclusively for all my page layout needs. I find doing page layout is pretty straight forward as a design process. Find a magazine design you like (as in the example you included) and emulate its style. I most often use 2 column layout (as in your example), though I'd use full justification, instead of right justified. You will have needs for a properly spaced gutter (the space between the columns) and margins. As far as fonts go, I find serif fonts more easily readable than san-serif fonts, though serif fonts tend to look archaic for some modern designs. Font choice is an individual thing and varies for its purpose. A font that works for one project may be incompatible with another - I cannot state which font is "best", aside from you'll know it when you see it (at least that's how it works for me.)

Here is an example of 2 column page layout I am doing for a project as an intended for print PDF adventure module for roleplaying games - in this example I am trying to emulate an American Old West style to fit the theme of the adventure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gila-express-final-2-thumb.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	109976