Hi all,

I use envelopes a LOT. I prefer the envelopes in Corel Draw because of the control it affords me (being able to add points to an envelope is a HUGE plus), but I'll sometimes finagle an envelope in Xara just because most of my design is already done there. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for creating symmetrical, perfect envelopes that don't take so many steps? I'm outlining my process below in case it helps anyone else, but I'd love to find an easier way to do this!

1. Draw your object/text.
2. Drag 2 horizontal guides and snap them to the top and baseline of your text/object. This will help preserve scale in the Y direction in step 5.
3. Apply a mould. Click on one of the points of the mould (being careful not to drag it out of place). This will show the control handles for each corner. Now drag 2 vertical guides and place them in line with the control handles. This will preserve scale in the X direction.
4. Because this is going to be a arched effect, I move the text down. The guides show me where I want to manipulate the control handles in order to achieve a perfect, symmetrical mould.
5. The control handles are placed in the crosshairs of the guides.

Phew! That's a lot of steps. But you see the result. Any tips on how to get this done faster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	106933