Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
Actually user manual for the scanning software I use says they can but Windows 5 header is required for an embedded profile. No way to test though as the .bmp files that the software will output have Windows 3 header.
What it boils down to is what a programmer is willing or capable of putting into the I/O part of the program, theinonen. There's a compelling reason to use PNG as a bitmap export from Xara, instead of BMP, that has nothing to do with the latent capabilities of the BMP file format: politically, Microsoft has moved away from it. The icons you see in Windows 7 and 8 are PNG in file structure, BMP was a cornerstone of graphics when Windows began, but you're not likely to see it supported more today, but less instead, I'd think.

Again, it's not the latent capability we should be interested in, but rather what a company's engineers are asked to activate within the I/O engine. did you know that AVI files can contain an alpha channel? And did you know Adobe Systems is just about the only company that lets you into access an alpha channel for video compositing work in Photoshop Extended and After Effects?

I'm all for more diversity, and not less, but unless someone picks up the torch and runs with it for a specific feature or capability with a file format, output becomes meaningless when a different program can't input that output.

My Best,

Gary