There's a style of map, I've always wanted to try and that is one with a hot lava bed on it. I looked online for sources for lava texture and found a few, but none really intrigued me enough to use verbatim, so I emulated the style and created a texture in XDP9.

First I created a square, gave it a gray color fill. Then I began creating cracks throughout, removing some pieces, trying to make it look random - something that might work as a repeating image. Once that was done, I cut the cracks from the gray square. Then I imported a rock texture, filled the square with that, added a dark gray shade to the image fill. Then I subtracted the cracks from the rock texture. After that I applied a flat bevel to its maximum extent (this took a few minutes to render). Also I applied a halo shadow to the bevels and made the color yellow with lots of blur. Finally I created an orange square, applied a fractal cloud color mix and mixed the orange with dark orange, and moved it beneath the bevels.

After I completed it, I took it into GIMP and did a color shift and turned the texture into one for pack ice.

Finally, I posted a sample map of a fire cave creatively using the lava bed texture...

Enjoy!

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lava_bed.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	101912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack_ice.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	101913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire-cave-small.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	101914