Matt Stevens, who worked on a graphics branding makeover for Pinterest, wrote a fascinating and graphically sumptuous blog about how they approached a solution for integrating different areas of the company.

Pinterest's new integrated graphics look

I confess (if that's the right word) that I hate, hate, hate Windows 8 childlike, flat, pseudo international symbol icon look, but accept it as a spearhead for an actual art movement and not just another fad that only says, "look how different I am. Therefore, I'm the next trend."

I think Pinterest nailed it (there might be a pun there). It's a very eye-pleasing and inviting mash-up of 1960s patterns, American primitive, Minimalism, and a dash of shmaltz tossed in, and you know what? I think the recipe works and serves as a fine example to follow to dress up version 1 of "flat art".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-branding.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	101483

The Pinterest art reminds me of the simplistic, but brilliant design work that went into the "interleaving" Chex cereal boxes a few years ago. The Big Idea wasn't just about the art, but about the visual continuity when the boxes were placed side by side at the supermarkets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chex-overlaps.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	101482

It's all good,

Gary