If anyone has any doubt that creating art is "less vital" to a civilization than, say accounting or mechanical engineering, let's bear in mind that civilizations are often, if not only, judged by their culture. And what is art, except a physical reflection ofr a society's culture.

The Roman's understood this, and I think I've mentioned this before: Albert Einstein, in his later years, became somewhat of a spiritualist, a humanitarian, and he used his magnificent genius to explore the condition of Man, not thinking of better ways to split atoms or slow down Time.

One of his observations, which is undeniable if you think about it is that one of Humankind's greatest needs is self-expression. We can't live without self-expression because without it, whatever makes us "us" cannot be psychologically reaffirmed. Einstein went on to say that the need for self-expression in Man is so great that it sometimes overshadows the need for food and shelter.

I've been there. I've worked so passionately on a piece that I forget to eat, which is sort of dangerous for a diabetic!

Xesame Xtreet's Word for the Day is : Passion. It's what makes you do something other than what you think you should be doing, because you are convinced that at a given moment there is nothing more important than to express yourself.

Don't look back in regret, stygg. Look forward to what a much smarter person is going to do tomorrow.

-g