Quote Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
I don't post a lot, ...]
mindseye, really consider posting a lot!

Your playfulness with the gear is a wonderful beginning. If the gear, perhaps with the X inside of it can be another variation on your theme, you have a great icon for the utility.

I also like your unsused concept of working five pixels into an "X".

@ everyone: here's some fast food for thought (that was a self-deprecatory pun):

• Play with color and also with "negative space". If I were to redesign the logo for A1 steak sauce, it might look like this, using negative space:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1 rework.jpg 
Views:	1113 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	96094

So, a very nascent approach to mindseye's gear motif might look like this is we used negative space for the counter in the lowercase "a":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaRt knockout gear.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	96095

And as a companion piece with the same approach, the icon might look like this, because icons need to be very simple for small sizes:

Name:  XaRT icon.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  8.9 KB

•Experiment with iconic representations of what this thing does: use tools, gears, numbers, and so on.

Most importantly, begin with an idea, a concept. All the art skills on Earth won't get us the logo we need if there isn't a strong, flexible, extensible idea behind your creation.

And no, this is not a competition. It's a group effort and I'd like to jam with you people instead of submitting a design.

My report cards used to say, "Gary works well with others."

-g