Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Feather edges

Threaded View

Hello People

Object Clipping 101
    ===================

To make the technique clear and take less words to explain, you will need the attached, example Photo-Paint File (150 kilobytes approx)

Open up the file in Photo-Paint

Enable/Show the Object Docker and Channel Docker

The file consists of an image loaded into photopaint

A black filled circle created as a separate object

A circular mask feathered inside, you can use the dockers to take a look at each element.

To finish of the image.

1. Select the background in the docker and go to menu option object/create/from background
    2. Select the black circle (titled - potential clipping object) in the Object docker
    3. Click on the mask tool button in the toolbox
    4. Press the delete key
    5. Delete the mask (red no entry button in the top toolbar)
    6. Click on the main background object in the object docker and drag it above the potential clipping object
    7. Click on the empty box between the eye icon and the background object description so that a paper clip appears
    8. Click on the potential clipping object and using the slider at the top of the docker to set the transparency to 0%

You should now have a crescent shaped image, feathered down one side

9. With the clipping object selected (lowest item in the object docker) from the docker you can slide it around over the image if it is not in quite the right place.

When happy

10. CTRL Click both objects in the docker to select them and right click/combine/objects together to reduce the elements to the size of the clipping object for incorporation into other images.

I find Photo-Paint much easier to use than a certain other bitmap editing package, I don't use it that often as I primarily work in vectors, however I have never found it lacking when I need to work with bitmaps.

HTH

Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP