The answer is "yes", Frances, but not necessarily, "Yes, you should."

There is literally no difference in coding between a font you create and any other font you want to embed using Web Designer MX. So in practice, it works.

But just as you need a compelling reason to post a 5MB JPEG image on a website, you need a compelling reason to (sometimes marginally) slow down the loading of your website, if it's "glamour factor", and you don't have a solid artistic and/or commercial reason for embedding a typeface.

The way a font destined for the web needs to be crafted takes time, skill, patience, and a little learning. The very first thing you need to know is about unit height and how a typeface displays on a webpage. If, for example, you build a font whose cap height is 627 units, I think you might be able to image how the font will render onscreen at 12 or 14 points. "The math is wrong", and you'll probably get a line of pixels within the font that is unwanted because the web browser can't reconcile the math.

You are also well-advised to pack everything you can imagine into a typeface used on the web. For example, on the Xara Xone, one of the fonts has a complete set of bulleted numbers and other glyphs you see all the time done as GIF bullets. This means that only one fetch needs to be done to get the font and a lot of the re-occuring dings we have on the pages.

And I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do know how to do web fonts inexpertly and just plain wrong. I'm still working on one of the fonts we use, the hinting isn't quite right, but all website building is a WIP anyhow, isn't it?

My Best,

Gary