Quote Originally Posted by Add.O.B. View Post
Actually, it was a great idea. It wasn't an original idea, but it was a great idea. Think about it, if you used colour and layout inspiration from a site like 4templates, you'd have some great templates and this thread wouldn't exist (except to praise your great templates). The idea was great, it was my implementation of it that was wrong.

At least your demonstration of it is now proclaimed by yourself as a copyright infringement?
Yes. Imagine that, somebody admitting they are wrong! How crazy is that???

Fine. So let's think about it. I have a choice:
a. pay $30 and have my site ready without any hassle or risks.
b. waste time browsing for design ideas, to copy them and take all the copyright risks.
c. learn to make great designs from the scratch (spending MUCH more than $30 for this in time*money equivalent).

Hmmm....
You make some interesting points. Let's think about that for a moment (my comments added in bold):

1. pay $30 and have my site ready without any hassle or risks but end up with 70 website templates, none of which will really show my business up in a professional light, ergo $30 lighter.
  2. waste time browsing for design ideas, to copy them and take all the copyright risks. Don't fall foul of copyright law and you won't risk anything. Time spent looking for inspiration is never wasted
  3. learn to make great designs from the scratch (spending MUCH more than $30 for this in time*money equivalent). What a fantastic idea! That way you'll never have to buy anybody else's templates and your website will be unique!!

Put 2 and 3 together and you have a winning formula! Go for it!!!

Steve, me ole mucker, I made a mistake and freely admit it, to the extent of going into great detail about it, so that hopefully those that read this thread won't fall into the same trap. Because it is a trap - it's so easy to see something, like it and decide to copy it, changing a couple of insignificant things and then calling it our own. Mea culpa.

However, look on the bright side, I have given the local template manufacturing business more publicity than they would ever have had if I'd missed that first post. And if they sell loads of templates I'll be proved wrong (any chance of a commission, guys?). And if they sell none at all it'll give them the boost they need to improve, improve, improve!

If there is a god, she's probably laughing at me right now