OK, I've read the sticky all the way through, and get there are differences in how and what the Pro versus retail versions handle groups, among other things.

What I don't get, as a very noob user of xtreme (I bought the X1 version a year ago, and have barely scratched the surface, using X3D v5 much much more often), is how that might affect my work flow.

If I apply an object to a layer in the retail version, does it instantly become uneditable? Honestly, I haven't got a clue....

Mostly, I've been working the the (very old version wise at 7) Photoshop world, using X3D to generate a text heading which I then modify in PS, adding in backgrounds and effects such as glows and various other styles and effects, such as replacing the faces of the X3D text with a fill created from another image et al...

Anyway, with Xtreme v 5.1 out, now I'm wondering which version to go after for my own uses. Initially I didn't think I needed the pro version, since I do very little print work at present (most of my work ends up on a projection screen or video, both mostly for church media at present) and the main differences appeared to be pro print ready uses. With the question of group usage involved though , now I'm not sure.