Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: Publish help please

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    That's the whole point ... XWD knows nothing about files, folders, names etc. It generates a whole web site from the graphics every time you publish. Publishing (and only publishing) generates the HTML. So if you tweak the site, the graphics may have completely different names when it's published. If you delete the first graphic, every graphic on the site may be renamed when you publish. That's the very reason that the ftp publisher in XWD is set up to republish the whole site not small pieces of it.

I know people think that the time is important, why???? A 1/2hr upload is automatic, doesn't take any work and is painless. Why fight it. Upload the whole site. Surely it's not that time sensitive ....

I dont think its a caso of "time sensitive" I think its more a case of what you are used to. Ive had a couple of instances in the past where I have "previewed" a page in dreamweaver or web expression then when the page has been uploaded to a server there has been slight differences only slight but still different to a preview. So I got into the habit of not using built in previews and always having my ftp client open, quick change upload the page in seconds your seeing a "live" preview.

Im not criticsising Xara WD I absolutely love the software its one of the most user friendly pieces of sogtware I have ever had the pleasure of using, I cant for the life of me understand why it makes multiple copies of the same image seems like a waste of server resources but Im sure there will be a very good reason for it. (probably something Im doing wrong lol)

A 1/2 hour upload is a long time if your making multiple small changes and want to see live previews so I can understand some peoples frustrations absolutely. The built in ftp feature on any html is usually always an after thought anyhow thats why I reccomend a "real" standalone piece of software its a good investment
    Last edited by ChrisBro; 27 May 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: edit