ok aside from completely rebuilding my computers.

I've been grappling with whether I really believe the above. I came to doubt that I believed it because i found myself falling into the same belief that I've heard others voice . . . the infamous

I can't draw myth.

I wanted to do some cool tutorials but I had writers block. AND I ran into that i can't draw demon that many of us grapple with.

I had to ask myself. .. do I really believe that I can't draw? or am I just frustrated that I can't draw with as much ease as I can write?

Well the sad truth is I was just frustrated with how slowly, how much more time it takes me to manipulate a few lines on a piece of paper. . . leading me into believing the lie that I can't draw.
When in reality, I CAN draw. but it takes me longer to do something that I like. on the flip side, I can write with ease. so by comparing my drawing skill to my writing skill well it can make you laugh quite a bit.

But although I am laying this out for you quite simply, it took me a while to overcome this myth that I can't draw.
I would like to draw an analogy for some people, if you can't win and olympic swimming competition, maybe wouldn't even qualify to go .. does that mean you can't swim?

not necessarily. now some people may not have learned to swim yet ... but here we come to the meaning of the word, can which I take to mean whether you are capable of accomplishing a certain task .. not whether you are an olympic swimmer.

the upcoming tutorial that I have been dreaming of is titled: no straight lines needed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] which is aimed at those of us who convince oursleves that we can't even draw a staight line.

for the interim, if you are interested in picking up a fun book that helps you teach yourself how to draw, please visit your favorite book store and look up Mark Kistler. My favorite book of his is The Draw Squad it is an older book but to me it's still his best.

I mention drawing here because it seems natural that painting and drawing go hand in hand.

yep i have more stuff I can tell you but I don't want to make a 5 mile long letter. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] that's no way to treat a friend. and I consider all of you my friends.

I hope the upcoming holidays are pleasant for all of you. and thank you for all the wonderful posts that you have been making.

This forum is still one of the greatest because of you, the visitors.

Athena
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena
Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.