Mark just one thing before I answer your image.
We have many threads at TG that are becoming almost useless due to members posting images linked from a image hosting account which is no longer current. This means the images no longer appear in the threads and the post becomes nonsense.
Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...84&postcount=1

It is much preferred to attach your images rather than link to them

To you rquestion.
The amount of banding you end up seeing is relative to the amount of colours the LCD panel can display. Because your video adapter can handle 32bit colour doesn't mean your LCD can (panels range from 10bit to 24bit last time I checked). Not many manufacturers will describe the panel type in the specs for each model but you can be certain that the current cheaper models use 16bit or lower panels. These are fine for every day display and computing, even for showing photos and some design work, but no good for higher end graphics work where you are working with gradients and so on.
CRT's can display a much larger range of colours making the colour transitions in gradients (and beautiful blues skies) much smoother.
Basically LCDs cannot display the maximum colour range that a CRT can and often have less accurate colour replication.

Just google 'LCD color banding' - there's planty of discussion about this.

PS: I have a higher end Dell which shows much less banding than the lower end AOC I have when viewing the same gradient.