So, when Magix took over Xara, I decided to let them have a fair crack at interesting me in stuff from their product range. Let them send me a few newsletters, I thought. Seemed only right and proper.

Well, they've had a fair chance now and nothing's caught my interest yet, so I decide to cancel the newsletter. I click the link and...

"System error
You have deactivated cookies.
You must activate cookies in your browser to be able to use the MAGIX Service Center."

<sigh>

No. I haven't deactivated cookies. Your website designer is lazy.

For a start, you're assuming that everybody has JavaScript turned on all the time. Well, as it happens, I *do* have it turned on but, nonetheless, you don't provide any fallback. Naughty-naughty.

And then, you expect that cookie handling is done the way that Microsoft's browser shoddily implements it. Well, I have a different browser. One which uses the correct methods of dealing with cookies and I don't have cookies turned off -- you are simply not using standard methods to deal with them.

Want proof? Look. This is the cookie you sent me:

"support.magix.net
PHPSESSID
5ca30159b7f1d489a9e07a6845fedf29
1970-01-01 00:00:00
2007-10-05 17:55:16
Not secure"

See?

I will now reluctantly fire up IE and visit the Magix site and cancel my subscription to their newsletter and I never have anything to do with them again.

Oh, and why am I moaning in here instead of telling Magix about this?

<sigh>

Because to tell Magix about anything, you have to have cookies enabled...