Hello all,

I'm a Sketchbook Pro user that is being forced to find another sketching program due to Autodesk buying Alias and, in turn, killing off Sketchbook.

So I got the trial version of Painter and have been messing around with it, and even though it seems to be way more then I'll ever need it seems to be the only other freehand type drawing software out there that's anywhere close to Sketchbook quality.

So anyway, I'm having some problems with Painter and I'm hoping someone here can help me with them. One is that when I'm just sketching something with a pencil or pen the line quality looks like hell! Choppy, pixelated and just plain bad, but when I save the drawing as a .jpg and view it via Picturebook the line work looks fine, not choppy at all. There must be a setting somewhere that will control the line quality while I'm drawing. Can anyone help with this?

Second: I'm using a Wacom Cintiq21 that works just beautifully with Sketchbook, Artrage, Photoshop and other pressure sensitive software, but with Painter there's practically no sensitivity. No matter how lightly I'm sketching the line work comes out fully saturated, no greys. The drawing tools I'm using are predominately pencils and pens.

So any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has some pointers when it comes to settings for pencil sketching in Painter that would be fantastic too.

Cheers,

Chris