Hello all, I'm a graphic designer that has just designed a company price brochure which will go to print for 8,000 copies sometime tomorrow. However, I have had this small problem in the past that turned into a huge problem, that then dissapeared when I couldn't find out the cause and reinstalled all of my software.

It has resurfaced a day before print, and I need help... NOW! I do not want to reinstall my software, as I do not think that this will help. I want to understand what is going on and I have a feeling some of you here may be able to help me. This is an URGENT problem which needs attention from professionals asap... I appreciate all help in advance.

The Problem
=========

I create a file from Illustrator. In this file, there are some objects, some text and a background image saved as a .TIFF from Photoshop (pretty bog-standard tbh). I save the .ai as a .pdf since I am outsourcing the file to an industrial-sized printer.

When I get a proof of the work back.... there are artifacts on the background image... but JUST the background .TIFF image. The Illustrator objects and type are fine.... but the .TIFF looks like it has been slightly hashed up and rearranged. The image can still be deciphered as a sky, but parts of the clouds are re-occurring in different areas of the image, as if they have been cut and placed as seperate layers. As I said before, it is only the .TIFF image that is producing errors (see the two scanned images).

This problem only occurs after printing. It does not show itself pre-print, even though I am in strong belief that it is an error manifested into the background data of the image.

I know that there must be someone out there that knows what I am talking about, and I would appreciate ANY information that you may have on this matter.

Sincerely,

Clément

EDIT: I have possibly narrowed the problem down to transparency. After being created in Photoshop, the .TIFF has had the transparency altered in Illustrator and InDesign to achieve the desired effect. However, this seems to be what is causing the problem with the artifacts. Is this due to conflicts between Adobe programs? Do you think that it could be something else?